Thursday, January 8, 2009

In and Out, In and Out

We left Watson Lake at 7:30 a.m. It was dark. Pitch black but we were on our way anyway. Our accomodations were very rustic, but clean and warm, and I guess that's all we can ask for at this point in the game. Certainly no reason to complain. The above photo is the 2nd pic of the day. It was taken about 9:00 a.m. The first photo was just too dark. Bummer.

The roads today weren't necessarily better, however the turns weren't nearly as sharp, and the hills weren't nearly as steep, up or down. All in all, today was a better day. However, 2 days of straight through driving has been hard on Brent and his back. He's threatening to make me drive some tomorrow. We'll see who wins.
This photo is taken of the sunrise about 9:30 a.m. It was absolutely gorgeous. Definitely made the 6:00 a.m. wake up call worth it. We continued to travel with Adam & Jennifer as it is a relief and a joy for all of us. We have a very similar travel style which makes it that much easier.

Today was fairly uneventful in the way of animal life. We did, however, manage to see one little gray fox who had buried himself in a bison track. He was hard to see so I didn't get a pic of him. All you could really see were his ears and face. However, the views continued to be marvelous. The pink sheen on the left of the picture is the sun starting to peak over the horizon.

Before we left we received great gifts of crossword puzzles, word games, word searches, Mad Libs, etc. However, way too many hours in the car leaves you searching for something new and exciting. As members of the Brain Trust know crossword puzzles aren't my strength, so I'm leaving those for "later". Ha! I decided it would be a great idea to write a poem. So I submitted 3 words, then Brent, then I, and you get the point. Unfortunately he was feeling snarky, so we can't publish our creation. However, I thought this might be a good place for him to live in his mood (above pic). In seriousness though, he's done a great job getting us through the mountains, and I cannot complain.
This was a very, very long bridge we had to cross today. It seemed never ending, and after the bridge collapse in Minnesota a year ago, I wasn't overly excited to cross the jallopy. We managed to survive. How? I'll never know.

Since the driving has been so hard on the guys we decided to stop for lunch in Teslin, Yukon Territory today. It was nice to actually eat a meal on the road, we haven't been stopping for lunches as we packed a cooler to eat along the way. Ches decided to take over my nice, warm heated seat. I can't blame her. She's been an absolute trooper. Such a good girl.
The Alaska Highway travels in and out of British Columbia and the Yukon Territory for a portion of today's journey so you'll have to forgive me if I sound confused. We'd see a sign welcoming us to one province or the other and finally I just stopped paying attention. Eek.


This is a photo of our descent into Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. We are spending the night here and then heading to Tok, Alaska. WOOT!! Finally. We're planning to travel on to Delta Junction on Saturday a.m. I cannot wait to actually see our new home, and just be able to put our stuff in one place and not have to haul it in and out anymore.
Thanks for following along...I hope you're enjoying the ride! By the way, feel free to comment. :)

No comments: