Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Warm, Sunshiney Day

Hello Folks!

The days grow longer every single day. As I type this at 10:45 p.m. we still have light. Quite a bit of it in fact. I have to admit, that I find myself languishing these nice, long days. I try to enjoy every minute of them.

Despite a record setting temperature of 74 degrees at the Fairbanks International Airport today, we still had frozen water this afternoon. Seriously? 74 degrees! Hopefully that will all end soon. The snow is melting quickly though we still have mounds where the sun fails to hit directly.

Ches and I had a great day today. She finally decided to play nice with the neighbors dog, and so we sat on the porch and enjoyed the evening sun, and giant mosquitoes with our neighbor.

Being from Minnesota I'm no stranger to skeeters. However, I have NEVER seen mosquitoes this large. They are huge! Ginormous. Honestly, if I can capture (um, kill) one I will take a reference shot just to show you. Apparently we're in for it when the smaller ones come, and I have a feeling we'll be investing in some face netting. Sounds like a lot of fun!

In an effort to keep myself sane I have been job hunting. My goal is to get on base, but we'll see if that comes to fruition or not. For now I am enjoying my late morning snoozes and wandering in the woods with Ches. I have a feeling she really likes my stay-at-home status as it usually involves a lot of outside time, and many, many treats.

Hopefully I'll be back with some photos tomorrow. Ches and I are planning to take a nice long walk to see if we can capture anything fun. Oh, and the grass is beginning to green up! Woohoo. Spring has sprung!

Have a happy day!

2 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

Depending on the area, the mosquitoes are either really, really, bad or tolerable. I don't have a face mask, but there were times I wished I did! When we drove the Denali Hwy from Paxson to Cantwell one summer, Steve couldn't stop to fish without being bombarded. I waited in the truck. :/ And our trip up to the Arctic Circle was torturous - especially when we had to potty in the bushes! Good thing my husband was with me, so he knew where the bites on my butt came from! LOL Skin so Soft and those type things do not work up here. We use local-bought Cutter Deep Woods and other such sprays. We keep a bottle in the truck, in my car, in the camper, in the house. Seriously... we're prepared! LOL

Karla said...

Good to know Susan! Thanks for the great info. :)