Friday, June 19, 2009

Update for the Week

Hello! I've been slacking this week. Hmmm. What could it be? Perhaps because I have a JOB! A great job. A job that I love. Yep, all of the above. I had no idea how much I was missing interaction and feeling productive. I still have a lot to learn, because every office is different, every agent is different, but the ladies (and gents) that I work with are great, and busy.

For those of you that don't know I took a job with a local real estate company. For some reason, I have a tendency to follow my father in many things. Perhaps this is why I used to frequently get an exasperated "you are your father's daughter" from my mom when she was frustrated with me!

Dad sells real estate, I love working in real estate. Though, to be clear, I am not selling it. Just helping others sell it. Dad was an educator, is an educator, and I worked in education for a fun, albeit brief, period of time. I look like him, I act like him (but please don't tell him that), and sometimes I like to give myself "advice" in his absence. lol.

Anyway, I'm working in real estate again. And I feel at home. Of course it helps that the office has a great homey feel, complete with two roaming dogs, and two busy boys. They are great, and I rarely hear a peep out of any of them. They are careful to tow the professional line that is expected of them, and well, I like the happy medium. It's kind of like a mullet. Business in the front, party in the back!

If you'd like to check out the ladies I'm working with, and the real estate they sell you can visit them here. Enjoy!

In addition to working we've just been enjoying summer. We've had much-needed rain this week, so we have little puddles sitting around, but I wouldn't dare complain about the moisture.

Ches and I have managed to avoid moose this week during our walks. Brent went with me on the first one out, as I was completely freaked out. I am such a chicken! I shudder to think of how I would react if I actually came in contact with an aggressive moose, or heaven forbid, a bear. I have a feeling it wouldn't be pretty! I am, however, semi-disappointed that my parents have seen more bear in Minnesota than I have in Alaska. Something seems slightly unfair about that.

Since it's Friday and Brent will be working the weekend, we took a drive to enjoy the cool, and pretty night. We didn't see much wildlife, but we did watch a big owl on his telephone pole perch for a while. Beautiful. It's been a long, long time since I've seen an owl that close up.

Tomorrow I plan to make a trip to Fairbanks. I need shoes. For some reason I didn't feel that I'd need cute shoes in Alaska. Pffft. I have totes of shoes in storage, in Minnesota. A fat lot of good that does me. So, I have brown dress pants up the wazoo, but no heels to wear them with. Stellar thinking Karla. Of course, if that's the extent of my issues, I guess I'll survive. I should have left more purses, and packed more shoes. Now I'll know for next time.

Hopefully we'll have time to get out and capture some photos this weekend. I am dying to try out some more manual settings on my camera. If the weather cooperates on Sunday I might convince Brent to do a little fishing out at the lakes near Donnelly. I just love that area, and we always manage to see something when we're out that way.

The wildflowers are rampant with the moisture, and I'm noticing a few more of the mini vampires, aka mosquitoes, around as well. At least these seem to be smaller than the songbird sized variety we had this spring.

Have a happy weekend! I'll be back soon!

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Karla, this is Brandi, we met at Tammy K's house for the toy party once. I wanted to drop you a note and tell you how much I so enjoy reading your "To Alaska....And Beyond" blog. Tammy told me about it right after you reached Alaska (I hope it ok she told me, she said you would not mind). I do not read everyday but weekly for sure. You are an increadable writer and so enjoyable. You wisdom and humor make your bog more like a book of short stories. Your stories make me laugh and giggle and just plain feel good, like I am you neighbor. The pictures are a wonderful element to the stories as well, and oh the landscapes are just magnificant. I love following the moose, earlier on , I read every day just to see if you had found them, I might have just been as excited as you when you posted the first pic of them :)
I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for an enjoyable story and photo's. You should look into writing, you really have a knack for it. Thank You, Brandi

Karla said...

Hi Brandi! Of course I remember you! I love that you are enjoying the blog. It is fun to write, and I just write how I think, which I think may frighten some people! Keep reading! Have a happy day!

Susan Stevenson said...

I've encountered plenty of moose while out walking my Sedona, and fortunately she's not a "barky" dog when she sees one. We stop in our tracks and let mama move out. We've never been chased or threatened. However, we do keep our eyes and ears open so that we don't come BETWEEN a mama and her calves. That could be dangerous!

I hope you found shoes when you came into Fairbanks. We really do have to get together for lunch or coffee the next time you come into town!

Karla said...

**Susan- We will definitely have coffee when I'm in town next. I always seem to be in some kind of hurry?!?! :) Can't wait!