Saturday, July 4, 2009

In Remembrance

One year ago today I was attending the wake of my Grandfather. Grandpa Elmo was a very special man. I have so many memories of him, and it’s hard to choose a favorite.

Grandpa Elmo was ornery and sweet, all wrapped up in one complicated package. He liked to drink his coffee from a plain white cup. He chewed tobacco, and liked to play tricks on us grandkids with his snoose tin. He would empty his Copenhagen tin, poke a hole in the bottom, and when he’d pop the top open his thumb would pop out and “surprise” us over and over again. We were surprised every single time.

He loved to tease everyone. He teased my mom about making him his favorite lemon meringue pie, every time he saw her. He teased me about his “nosey’ nosey”. He would bribe my older brother (who lived with them one summer) to buy him tobacco and stash it in their secret hiding spot, when he was supposed to be quitting.

When I was a toddler I was staying with Grandma and Grandpa overnight. They set up a portable crib next to their bed, and despite their efforts I would not sleep in the crib. Eventually they brought me into bed with them, and at some point I crawled on top of Grandpa, straddling his chest, and pointed out his “nosey, nosey”. I don’t remember the story fact for fact, as the words “nosey, nosey” generally about fits of laughter and the details of the story would be forgotten.

I know that each of us have special memories. We miss you Grandpa.

July 5, 2008 we laid my Grandpa Elmo to rest, and mourned the passing of Brent’s Grandpa Earl. It was a very tough day for both of us.

I know that most of Brent’s earliest and fondest memories involve in some way, his Grandpa Earl. Summers at the farm in South Dakota, trapping and fishing the creek that ran through the pastures of their farm.

We think of them both often, and we miss them, along with their other loved ones. And though they are in a better place, with spirits that are whole, we long for their return to fill the empty spaces in our hearts.

Also, on this Independence Day we must remember those who have, will, and are fighting today for our freedom. We pray for their families, we pray for their safe return and we honor those who did not return from the wars of their time.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

2 comments:

Chantelle said...

They both sound like they were wonderful people. I hope you had a good holiday, even though it brought back some sad memories as well.

Karla said...

Thanks Chantelle. They were two of the best men I've ever known. Hope you had a great holiday!