Friday, September 11, 2009

Last Summer Blast

We have been on a mad dash to soak up all this late summer sun, and warm temperatures. Labor Day weekend did not disappoint. Last Saturday we loaded up the ATV, the dog, and just about everything else we owned and headed south of Delta to Meadows Road. This is a road we have traveled much these past few months, and we are rarely disappointed by the scenery, and the animals. We have been itching to ride it all summer long, and finally we had our chance.

Our first stop on the the Tour de ATV was Ghost Lake. We had walked part way back a few times, but since it is unreachable by road vehicle (for us anyway) we rode in and were delighted with the view. Brent threw his line in, and while he didn't catch his trophy, or anything for that matter, the scenery was breathtaking, and catching fish just didn't rank very high that day.

As you can see from the photos it was a beautiful, clear day with temps in the 60-70's, The sun was warm, and much to our delight the lakes area was nearly abandoned. I think we saw 4 or 5 people the entire day.

When we had had our fill of the views for the moment we headed onward to Nickel Lake. Nickel Lake has been a favorite of ours. The lake itself sits along the road, but the open area is tucked away, far away from the prying eyes of passers by, and it complete solitude.

We set up camp. Chessa played in the water, Brent fished for his lunch, and I took a nap on the banks of the lake. It was pure bliss. At one point I even got so warm in the sun that I had to move into the shade. We lazed around the most of the afternoon, and when Brent had caught his fill, which ended up being two rainbow trout, we lit a fire and roasted fresh trout and buffalo sausages for our lunch.

After lunch we headed back into the hills to capture the fall colors of Donnelly, the flats, and whatever else we could feast our eyes on. I dare say, it was one of the most relaxing days we've had in years. Delightful.
The following day we decided to stick around the house a bit. I did a little cleaning, and some cooking in the morning. In the afternoon we headed out to Borman's farm, a u-pick it, vegetable farm in Delta. What a wonderful idea for those of us who are new to Alaska gardening, and don't really have room for a full-blown vegetable extravangza. We picked beets, cabbage, a lonely little zuchini, and dug about 20 pounds of potatoes.
That evening we had Rose and Willie for dinner. We grilled up some buffalo steaks, halibut and I roasted fresh potatoes and beets. It was wonderful.
Monday morning when I woke Brent informed me that the day was too nice and he wanted to ride Bluff Cabin Trail. Ugh. Not this again! Seriously. This trail has been my nemesis. All. Summer. Long. The first time we were out there we tried to walk the beast. Oy. Not gonna happen. So, we tried again in July, when the trail was sure to be dry. Not so much. Turns out between the mud holes waiting to swallow us whole, and the bear prints the size of my head (now does it ring a bell?), I threw a prime time hissy fit and we left. With our heads in tact, thank you very much.
After I put my big girl panties on, we recruited Rose and Willie to be our suckers, er companions, and we headed out to conquer the big, bad beast. Now I know what you're thinking. "Karla, it's just a trail, there's no need to be dramatic." Well, phooey on you. Have you ever heard the saying, "Tougher in Alaska"? Well, my friends, this beast is muddy, mucky, rutted and ugly. After a fairly dry summer, and weeks without rain, this trail is still full of tar pits.
We started out, apprehensively, and I have to admit that the trail had dried out significantly since the last time we were there. Eventually I loosened my death grip on the "Oh My God" handle, and regained a little feeling in my hands. The first portion of the trail was pretty painless and I was thinking that this could be a fairly uneventful trip.
Well, those thoughts were short-lived. And while the trail was better, it was far from easy and we had some hairy moments along the way. Some of the mud pits are fairly shallow and firm on the bottom. Most of them aren't.

When we reached the mud hole that served as the turn around spot on our last try at Bluff Cabin Trail, even Brent had to admit that we were lucky we made it out, and with the center of the pit being at approximately 6 ft. deep, he was fairly happy that I had a pitched a fit. I'm fairly certain our little Love Buggy would still be sitting in the center of that big, slippery mud pit.

While the trail was tough in places, there were portions of the trail that were easy riding, and trust me, the end is worth the pain and suffering along the way. This is the lake at the end of the trail and it was beautiful.

Brent and Willie took the time to throw in a line, and managed to wrangle in a couple rainbows. Willie gets SOOOO excited for fish. He is just beside himself once those slimy little suckers are hooked. He whines, and fidgets, and once the fish is in hand he licks and licks and licks. Then he perches on the end of the boat to wait, with constant whining and nearly unbearable anticipation, until the next trout is hooked.

When they had had their fill of fishing, Ches and Willie decided to swim, er take a mud bath, in the lake. The shoreline is pretty squishy but they romped and played and chased and explored to their little doggie hearts content.

This is a little foam fishing boat that sits on the shore of the lake. It's not quite seaworthy anymore, but it sure makes a nice launching pad/fishing dock.

Brent tried to convince me that I could easily walk out to this swimming platform, for a little dip in the ice cold water. I declined, I am not that gullible, ever-pleasing girl he met so long ago. I have grown smarter with age, thank goodness! Though I seriously doubt I would have done it, even back then. Well...maybe...

Once we had our fill of water, mud, and bugs galore, we headed back down the dusty/muddy trail for home. Rose stopped to point out a spruce grouse that had flown from the path and landed in a nearby tree. I dare say that will be the last time she stops to point anything out to Brent. Much to her dismay, and horror, he pulled out his gun and shot it. Ches dove in, like the pro that she is, with Willie on her heels to retrieve the grouse. Just before she reached it, it flopped wildly sending Willie hurdling backwards on his haunches and as far away from that bird as possible! Ches swooped in and brought it back to Brent. I don't know who was more pleased, Brent or Ches. It seems our Chessa girl has found her niche. She is an avid grouse hunter, and I have a feeling they'll be doing a lot of it in the coming months.
This week we have just been getting out as much as possible. The wildlife is moving, and fall is defintely upon us. Thursday night we were working around the house. I was upstairs in the bedroom putting away laundry and something caught my eye. I stepped back in time to see a huge cow moose and her yearling bull saunter down the driveway, across the yard and disappear into the woods next to the house. I managed to regain my voice in time to holler down to Brent so he could enjoy it too. This is what I've been waiting for since we set foot in Alaska. FINALLY!
Friday evening, as with most weekend nights, I was up late. About 1 a.m. I was growing sleepy and decided to hit the hay. When I turned off the lamp I noticed the motion light was on. I decided to peek out to see what I could see and much to my delight, and surprise, I came face to face with a huge cow moose. Holy cat! I had to check myself to make sure I didn't involuntarily let go of any "surprises". I ran upstairs to wake Brent and we watched as she and her calf nosed around my car, snipped the heads off my pansies, and mozied along through the yard, slipping quietly into the woods.
If this is a sign of things to come, I. AM. STOKED. As long as their visits continue while I'm IN the house, I'll be happy and content.
In other news I finally broke out my sewing machine and have begun the crafty phase of my life. I'm not really the patient kind, and I haven't sewn since Mrs. Cleven's 7th grade Home Economics class when I walked away with that hideous sweatshirt with one arm shorter than the other. Do you remember that, Mom? I know you do. It was yellow with bunnies, dressed in all kinds of bright 80's clothes, hideous. But we thought it was sooooo cute.
Anyway, things are going well. I will post things when they're complete, as long as you promise not to scrutinize and grade me on them. I am certainly not a pro, but I'm having fun!
Well, 'til later. Stay warm and safe! Have a happy day!

2 comments:

Chantelle said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures as always!!! I'm so happy for you, that you are happy in Alaska. Yay!!!! :)

Karla said...

Thanks Chantelle! I'll get you here for a visit yet! I wonder if Amtrak comes to Alaska??? :P