Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Home Sweet Alaskan Home

Well, I did it.  I ventured "outside".  For the past week I have been living the "high life".  Do you really want to know what I think of that?  Pffffffffffffffttttttttt.  I spent the last week in Dallas, Texas.  This was my first visit to Texas, and while I had some highlights, which I'll tell you about, I have to say.  Dallas is not the place for me.  It was not my most favorite place in the world.

I'm not sure what I expected really.  I knew that Dallas Fort Worth is a metroplex.  So why then would I be surprised at the traffic, freeways and lack of...wildlife?  You tell me.  The people were friendly, our stay was fine, but nothing, not even the Dallas Galleria, impressed me much.  Sure there was shopping, and good shopping.  Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Saks, DSW, and yet...I found a hard time finding things that were practical for my space, and for my life.

The number of people didn't bother me.  The traffic, while difficult to drive in, didn't shock me.  But I felt very displaced, unsatisfied.  Now, I'll be the first to admit that Brent's schedule, and my refusal to drive in Dallas, left me alone in the hotel room.  But really, I LOVE my alone time.  And I LOVE sleeping in.  In the evenings, and at lunch time, we'd go out and about seeing parts and places of Dallas.  We were adventurous with the time we did have.

I was just yearning for home.  For the quiet, the peace, the wildlife, the ease.  No rushing around, no hour long commutes.

We enjoyed parts and pieces.  It wasn't totally miserable.  But it certainly was different.  The trip "outside" truly opened my eyes to how removed from the real world we are.  There are some things I miss.  Getting dressed for dinner, wearing shirt sleeves in March, and some other such small things.  But for the most part.  I'm happy here.  Happy to be where the wild things are.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I totally agree with you, yet I live here. LOL Although I have to say, I do like other parts of TX more, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to AK one bit. Heck, it doesn't even compare to west. WA where I grew up! lol After living in places like that, it just doesn't seem so great. yeah, shopping is nice, but it is HARD to find stuff to do as a family, especially outdoorsy stuff that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. I miss being able to just take a short drive to the ocean or Mts. and hang out of the day where it's pretty and usually free.

Karla said...

Tracy- I fully admit that it may have been my horrible tiredness from the anemia, I wasn't feeling well, and we weren't in a great suburb. I would love to see more of Texas, at a different time of year, so I haven't given up on it yet.

But it is VERY different from Alaska. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Duncanville isn't known for being one the of "nicer" suburbs. lol I on the other hand am in the opposite and feel like I moved to snobville. :-P (One big reason I'm not liking it as much. lol) FM was affluent too, but it didn't have that feel to it, people were more down to earth and all despite the money. And yes it's VERY different from AK. lol

IF we end up stuck in TX jobwise, I could get used to Austin and San Antonio I think. It's a bit warmer and can be more humid, but it's prettier IMO and close to things we actually like to do. I was not impressed with Houston at. all. the one time we went, but the outer parts were o.k. We did like the far south coast (South Padre Island--their beaches were WAY better than Houston and we're ocean people so we liked it. lol) Tx does have mountains so I've been told, but that's the part we haven't gotten to yet. The pictures I've seen remind me of the mts. in Utah or something, not like up in WA. Still pretty, but different.

Anonymous said...

Dallas is different from Alaska. Texas is different from Alaska. I'm actually from Dallas and am temporarily here in Alaska but I appreciate both places for what they are. Dallas IS a metroplex so you have to love it for what it is...a city. Alaska however, is pretty much the country. Two different universes. Although Texas has different areas in it: the swamps, the desert, the mountains, the plains and the city. I have lived in three parts of Texas (Dallas, East Texas and Central Texas) and also have had a chance to work in El Paso and let me tell you...they are very different from each other. You should definitely go out and visit them all when you can. For someone who lives in Alaska, Austin is more of the area they would feel more comfortable if one should decide to move away :) A blogger that I know actually lives in the area of Texas with the mountains and I've seen pictures...they are very beautiful. I can't believe I've never seen them in person. I have yet to drive to Denali and will finally see my first mountain view ever next month! I'm already in awe driving into Fairbanks and seeing them in the distance.

Next time you visit Dallas (if ever lol) make sure you visit the Farmers Market. The best one I've been to so far (Austins was blah, which is unfortunate because the town itself and shops are WONDERFUL). Also, you should take a trip to Arlington and have a little vacation at the theme parks. Fort Worth has the stockyards (and a pretty HUGE zoo) which is also a wonderful place to go. You can go there by train down at Union Station. It all just depends on WHERE you are. I've NEVER been impressed with the Galleria. I don't buy all that mumbo jumbo. I love the outlet malls or local malls however. If you want more of an outdoorsy feel, you'll have to go outside of the city limits but its totally worth it. While you're at it, take the three hour drive out to Shreveport (I lived in that area for most of my life) and hit up the boats and the cajun lifestyle.

Anyway, just thoughts from a new reader!!!

Karla said...

Thanks, Jean. We did visit Arlington, and that and Richardson were my favorite parts. I was expecting the city, full fledged, but I was also expecting the amenities of the city, which were NOT present in Duncanville.

I plan to visit TX again in the future, but most likely won't be staying in Duncanville again. Ever. It's a crap hole. IMO.

I didn't enjoy TX while I was there, but as I pointed out, there were many different factors to that. And I'm convinced had we stayed in a different suburb my opinion would have been different.

I didn't mean to offend any Texans with my post, I was just stating my opinion. I didn't expect it to be anything like Alaska, but I expected it to be different than it was.

Have a great day!