Friday, May 14, 2010

Sunrise, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset...

Sunrise 4:30 a.m.  Sunset  10:49 p.m.

Let me put this in perspective for you.  It's midnight in Delta and I can still see, though it's dusk out there, across my yard.  And around 3 a.m., Cash's favorite time for a mid night pee, it's already starting to lighten up.  So, that means, LIGHT BLOCKING DRAPES.  Lol.

So, we've been out riding ATV and wandering the woods.  In areas there is still snow, and ice, and well, it makes for interesting, and messy riding.   It's still a little on the cool side, topping out in the 60's, but I'm hoping that soon, very, very soon, we'll see some warmer temps.

The leaves are popping.  Grass is greening up and hopefully Delta will soon be in full bloom.  Alaska is so beautiful, in every season.  But I have to say, summer is the best.  THE BEST.  The wildflowers alone offer infinite opportunities for capture via film, er, digital capture.  Fireweed, poppies, blue bells...there are so many to choose from.  I cannot wait.

In addition, the summer berries will appear.  Teeny tiny wild strawberries, which I'm determined to find, pick and consume this year.  Blueberries, high and low bush cranberries, and Brent's favorite rose hips.  I know there must be more out there, but we're new, and just learning.  Remember?

This week we've been uber busy.  Over the weekend we sent the Envoy packing.  Our beloved Envoy.  Bought out of necessity, kept out of love.  It got us through the wilds of Canada, and into our new territory, Alaska.  It didn't let us down, but since it was growing older, and worn beyond it's miles, we decided to send her on her way.  

We replaced the Envoy with a new, yes brand new, Chevy Silverado.  Still have the 4 doors, so plenty of room for the 4 of us.  But now even more room for the boat, the ATV, and anything else we need to haul.  So far, so good. I hope the Chevy treats us as well as our GMC did.

Tuesday I found myself in Fairbanks for a doctor's appt.  It was a very nice day and I was sorry to waste a day off in the "city".  But now and then, we must sacrifice, I guess.  Ha!  So, I ran the necessary errands and got home.  Safe and sound.

On other good news, the moose are back.  They're moving again, and back in sight.  It had been weeks since I'd seen a moose, and now I've seen several this week.  With no camera in hand, of course.  That's always the way it goes...hmph.

We have a busy week ahead.  Tomorrow I'm planning to visit the Sno Hook Club.  A local restaurant.  I've heard good things about them, and I'll be meeting friends their to celebrate the May birthdays.  Happy Birthday to my friend, Kathy, who celebrates tomorrow.  And then someone else, someone you all know and love, yes, me...celebrates on Saturday.

Saturday evening Brent and I fly out to Portland.  We've hired a wonderful house/pet sitter to stay with the kids.  It's much easier, and cheaper, than kenneling them.  So, I'll be on the road.  Traveling.  Ooh.  And I'll let you know exactly what I think of Portland, Oregon.  I'm pretty sure it won't compare to Delta!

Happy Spring!!

5 comments:

DennisPick麗珠 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Portland is better than Duncanville at least, right?? Where I grew up is alot like Portland, and IMO it just doesn't compare with this part of TX. Now AK I'm sure is even better. (The small amount I saw reminded me of the PNW more than anything but it was only the tip of it. lol)

志文 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Household 6 Diva said...

You are a wonderful writer!
Are you a Military Spouse too?

I stumbled onto your blog via "Living in Alaska"

We are currently stationed in Germany - so only one car for us!

We actually have a Silverado too! It's waiting for us back home in Pennsylvania - my husband misses it so much!

So nice to meet you!

Karla said...

Tracy- Portland was MUCH better than Duncanville. :) Happy to be home in my drier climate though.

Household Diva- We are not military. We are civilian. But my husband works on base for a government contractor.

Thank you for your compliments. I write how I speak..so sometimes it's not always the best grammar.

GERMANY!! I'm sooo jealous! I'm hoping we get the chance to live there someday...

Like A Rock... :) It's a pleasure meeting you as well! Enjoy the read!