Monday, October 4, 2010

Batten Down the Hatches, Boys!

Well, it's been a while.  And while something tells me that I should feel guilty, I'm not.  I do this for fun, the blogging.  In the mean time, I 'm living.  That means, I share when I have time.  And since we've been trying to soak up every bit of autumn splendor, I haven't had much time for blogging.


The above photo is of Brent and Cash hunting at Castner Glacier.  It's a lovely hike, and I'm sorry that I didn't let Brent drag me out there sooner.  Anytime I hear the word hike, I cringe and dig my heels into the ground.  It's reminiscent of days spent hiking in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.  He's drag me around every mountain at least 3 times.  I like to wander, watching the skies change above, not him.  He's more of a get there, get back kind of person.  Not so at Castner, it was such a nice, easy walk.  Easy pace.  Watching Cash and Ches dash in and out of the woods, the water and the dirt.  



This is Brent with the Alaska Range in the background.  This was before the "s" word fell and coated the mountain tops with fresh white powder.  He's standing on top of the world, showing me where he should have shot a moose.  No such luck for these newbies.  It was incredibly warm and while he saw a few cows with calves, no bulls.  Hmph.



Once you reach the peak on which Brent was standing you come down to view the glacier.  Not really what you picture a glacier to look like is it?  But it's awesome.  How absolutely unique to think that you can stand on a glacier.  It's pretty cool and I'm glad I saw.  I'm also looking forward to doing that hike again.  Really soon.



I prefer to be behind the camera, but this is me, holding the bear protection, while Brent snaps a photo.  It was such a nice day.


This is a lovely Soapberry bush.  A favorite food of bears, or so I read somewhere.  Of course, I stumbled upon this knowledge after I left the area, and it made me extra thankful that we had the bear protection along. Something stronger than mace x 100.  Ha!  Alas, we did not see a bear.  I think they're hiding from me.



Fall comes early in the Interior of Alaska.  Sometimes you have to be careful to blink or you will miss it.  This is a photo of the changing colors in early September, on Triple H Road, near our home.  Now the leafy trees are bare, and withered and decaying leaves litter the ground.  I should feel melancholy about it I suppose, but it's lovely to see more sunlight peaking through the tall trees.  And I will admit while winter is long here, it's particularly pretty.  

Lately we've been enjoying unseasonably warm temps.  We got our first sprinkling of snow on Sept. 26th, and much to my delight it didn't stick around.  The days are warm, hovering in the 40's and low 50's, and the nights are crisp.  Each morning we wake to a covering of glittery frost and the warmth of the wood stove.

I have missed the warmth that wraps around you like a soft, fuzzy blanket, except when the nights are warm and it becomes a sauna in here.  I have not missed the headaches that come with puffs of smoke escaping the door and blasting me in the face when I go to reload it.  The humidifier hums in the background, and lets little chugs here and there.

Brent had a nice birthday, I think.  I made him a fairly large dinner, since we so rarely eat out here.  His requests were simple, and I let him choose his guest list.  Since our home is smallish, okay, it's just plain small, we had 4 dinner guests, and 4 additional dogs.  Yes, it was mass chaos in the house of Kings...6 dogs, 6 people.  5 square feet.  I made him salmon cakes and grilled oysters with chili-lime salsa for starters, for dinner we had roast grouse, braised brisket, au gratin potatoes and roasted acorn squash with maple/orange glaze.  We had some slightly over done bread, which is pretty much the norm for me, and for dessert his beloved German chocolate cake.  Straight from home in Minnesota.  Provided by my mom.  :)  I'm not much of a baker, so it was a perfect compromise.  :)  He had a great day with great friends!

I must go, both dogs are alerting to something in the yard.  Knowing Cash it's just a leaf drifting across the driveway...but since Chessa is alert, I think it might be worth the look.

Happy day to you all!!!



2 comments:

Hayley said...

Well that was a good update.

Karla said...

Thanks, Hayley! Can't wait to hear all about Big Lake. :)