Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice

Sunrise 10:45 a.m.         Sunset  2:35 p.m.

The solstice came yesterday.  Which means the longest of winter days are behind us.  Phew.  Unfortunately the additional light is slow to come for a few weeks yet.  We'll pick it up quicker as time goes on.  Did you all catch that lunar eclipse last night?  Spectacular.  I didn't get to see it go red, but I parts of it from the bedroom window.  Spectacular.

The past few days have been quiet.  I've been baking, attending Christmas plays and trying to get the house put back to semi-rights after all the crap that's happened.  I'm ready for some peace.  And I'm really hoping I didn't just jinx myself.


Friday afternoon Brent picked me up.  I dashed from the truck to capture the moon.  At 4:17 p.m.  It was so pretty and bright.  It casts eerie shadows across the driveway, making me more hesitant to spend anytime outdoors.  Without dogs and guns.  Luckily I have plenty supply of both.  Phew!


Lately I find Cash in this position a lot.  He's waiting for Maggie.  His buddy.  From a neighboring farm.  She comes to play every day.  Yes, every.single.day.  Some days twice a day.  Last Thursday I was off from work due to extremely cold temps.  -50 and below. So, this is Cash waiting at about -35 below.  He has thicker skin than I do.  No thanks.  Brrrr.  That also turned out to be the day we got our plumbing back.  Amen.  Hallelujah.  Praise God.  This is as rustic as I get.  I can't do outdoor "plumbing".  There are some miraculously strong people out there.  No thanks.  

Saturday we made a trip to Fairbanks.  We braved the crowds and craptacular roads.   Got our necessary items, that I absolutely could not find here in Delta.  Stopped at Pagoda for a quick and yummy lunch in North Pole.  Tried to visit the Santa Claus house to pick up Savannah and RJ's letters from Santa.  But alas, the lines were too long, and the parking lot was out of empty spaces.  We kept driving.  

Sunday Brent made us breakfast, I cleaned, baked and cooked.  Brent put a moose roast in the oven, and we just enjoyed the holiday season.  Sunday evening we attended the Christmas program at First Baptist Church here in Delta.  What a production!  There are some talented kids in this community.  The program consisted of 45 children, varying ages, and a team of dedicated parents.  It was uplifting, fun, joyful, and fun!  You could tell the kids were thoroughly enjoying themselves up there, and they all did a great job!

Later that evening I packed up some cookies and headed to a friends house for games and friend time.  It was the perfect end to a relaxing weekend.  I have no complaints.  None.  At all. 

Thursday I'll have off to prepare for Christmas dinner at our house on Saturday.  Friday we're off to do some ice fishing.  Finally.  It's our first trip and I'm looking forward to it.  Which means I can't procrastinate on Thursday!!  There will be 9 of us for dinner, and I'm going to have to get mighty creative to get us all in here.  But we'll work it out.  For sure. 

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!! Stay warm!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Sounds like fun! The list at my house for people coming over on Saturday keeps getting longer- but I have floors that are very comfortable if you can get the dogs to leave you alone- lol!!! Doing an Italian Christmas dinner this year- something new- hopefully it will turn out good! Wish me luck! Hope you have warm & sunny skies on Friday! Enjoy!

Hayley said...

Awww!!! Cash looks SO cute waiting for his friend.

Susan Stevenson said...

I love the photo of Cash waiting for his girlfriend too. :) Have fun ice fishing. I hope it's not too cold for you!

Steve and I will be alone on Christmas, but that's OK. We're visiting friends on Christmas Eve. I'm making a lasagna for Christmas dinner. It's about the only thing I'm good at making. LOL

Have a lovely holiday! And YAY for the light!

Susan

Karla said...

Kerry- I have a teeny, tiny house so floor space is as limited as any other space. :( It's a bummer, for entertaining I'd love to have a HUGE house. Enjoy your Italian holiday, sounds delish!!

Hayley & Susan- Thank you! :) He just loves her. They have so much fun!!

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!!