Saturday, November 5, 2011

Uff da.  It seems that I've been slacking on the blogging business.  Truth is with a cold, dreary summer and an uneventful hunting season, there just wasn't much to blog about.  We've been managing to keep busy with work, some playing and preparing for all the changes that will eventually come our way.

 Bolio Lake (above) is now covered in a thin layer of ice.  Soon we'll be able to walk out, drive out and fish on it's frozen surface.  The entire countryside has a fresh layer of white, and we managed to score some large, fluffy flakes, which are a rare here.


With the changing of the seasons comes the loss of light.  In true Alaska form, this October 1st sunset left us loving fall, loving the return of the moon and stars, and the auroras, of course.  They've been active so far this year, and if it kills me I'm going to figure out how to capture them on my camera.  I will, I will, I will.


 The rush of autumn is gone.  The air has grown cold, in the last few days dipping as low as -20 degrees over night.  The cords are being carried, our winter packs are thrown in, and the early nights and late mornings are upon us.



Sunrise: 9:36am
Sunset: 5:17pm

Our new wood stove has been such a welcome addition that I cannot even explain how much more efficient, cleaner and easy to use it is.  We no longer have to keep piles of wood stacked in side the house, which means less debris and bugs.  Thank goodness.  


I'm sure the animals have loved the slow move into winter and the warmer-than-usual temps.  I'm not complaining either.  The dark, wet summer has left a sour taste in my mouth, and I admit, I've had a bad attitude about the onset of winter.  Now that it's here, it's not as bad as I imagined.

I can't believe it's already.  We've decided to do a little something different for Thanksgiving this year.  Since it's non-traditional and we're away from family, we're heading to Fairbanks to stay in a hotel, all four of us.  Then Brent and I are going to sneak away to a movie, and we'll end the night enjoying a part of our past.  PIZZA DELIVERY!!!!  Ha!  The little things.  We have so much to be thankful for.  Our family, friends, good jobs, warm home, health and happiness.  


November is National Adoption Awareness Month.  Please keep all birth mothers and their families in your thoughts and prayers.  Hopefully soon we'll be welcoming a child into our home and hearts, as well as, his/her birthparents and family. 


Hoping you find much to be thankful for in your world. 


Love, Karla 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just discovered you blog and enjoy reading your post. As I live in a somewhat neighboring town I can relate to some of writings. I wanted to encourage you and wish you the best in the new year. Thank you for sharing.

Karla said...

Thank you so much! I'm happy you enjoyed the blog. :)