Saturday, January 31, 2009

Exploring

Today Brent, Ches and I went exploring. We drove around Delta and while we covered a lot of ground, we didn't manage to see any wildlife. Not a bit. We did see a lot of moose tracks but no moose. I was really hoping to get some pics of one. Just one. Not so much.

During our travels we ventured into Delta Meat and Sausage Company. They sell anything and everything. Beef, pork, buffalo, caribou (reindeer), yak and elk. All of the exotic meats that they sell are raised on farms in the Delta Junction area, however, you can also haul in your own animals to have them slaughtered (sorry) or processed. We came home with some buffalo burger and a buffalo steak. Brent REALLY wanted to try some reindeer steak, but decided to try the buffalo instead. One reindeer steak was $20. It seems a little crazy, it does, but we're here to try new things so I think that will be next. The only thing I'm not keen on trying is yak. I have no real desire.

Tomorrow is Super Bowl sunday and since we still don't have network channels I think I'll make up some nice buffalo burgers and we'll watch a movie or two. We checked out Nanci's Castle, a big yellow movie renting castle, in town for some new movies. At the moment we're watching Appaloosa. It's not riveting, but for a Western it's pretty good stuff.

Ches was happy to get out and see a little more than the inside of this house. While we were at Delta Meat we picked her up a nice roasted bone so she's been busying herself with that all afternoon.

We also wandered out for a nice walk in the woods behind the house. At 4:30 it was -19 degrees and by 6:30 it was -30 degrees. Needless to say it's mighty chilly and our little heater is working overtime tonight.

In other news Kathy, our landlord, invited me to go to the next Mom's Night Out. I laughed and asked her if it mattered that I wasn't a mom, and she said no. So I readily accepted. Frankly, I can't wait. She said that they meet once a month or so, so I'm hoping that it's sooner rather than later.

Well, the homemade pizza is done, and I'd better get back to the movie. There seems to be a lot of people dying in my absence.

Have a happy day! I'll post a couple pics of the mountains tomorrow.

3 comments:

Chantelle said...

Have fun at the Moms Night Out! I agree, doesn't matter if you're a mom or not- socialization is a must for all of us! :) You're moving along much better than I am, it took me 8 months to get out of the house with other adults besides Jason! ;)

Moose Nuggets said...

If I had known you were at Delta Meats, I would have had you drop something off for the besresting Moose Nugget! LOL

Are you in Delta???

Karla said...

Yes, we are! I didn't know you're on bedrest. I can't get on base, but my hubby can. :) Happy "resting"!