Sunday, February 22, 2009

Driving Miss Chessie

Happy Sunday! Today was a clear, sun-filled, chilly day of 12 degrees here in Delta. Brent surprised me this morning by making me breakfast. While I love to cook it's always nice when he cooks a little breakfast.

While I cleaned up the kitchen we watched Horton Hears A Who, which is a delightful little film. So cute. I really enjoyed it. It has a great message, and I'm thinking I may need to buy this one and add it to my collection.

After I had cleaned the kitchen I decided it was time to dirty it again. I put a roast, green bell pepper, onions, and pepperoncini peppers in the crockpot for Italian Beef sandwiches for dinner. Then I roasted a batch of old bread for homemade bread crumbs, and then boiled up a chicken carcass and veggies for some homemade chicken stock.

Since it was so lovely we decided to take a drive, just the three of us, and see what we could find to capture for you. Here it goes...


Welcome to Delta Junction!!

We decided to start out South of town since this is the area that we have spent the least amount of time exploring. It was a beautiful drive and the Wrangell Mountains were especially pretty today. I managed to catch a few different shots in the pictures both above and below, but I don't want to bore you to tears, so I only posted a couple.


After leaving the Wrangells we headed back out to the Clearwater Lodge area. The above photo is taken of the Clearwater River in Clearwater State Recreation Area. This is actually a boat launching area. The water was open and clear, Ches really wanted to go for a swim, but we kept her out. I have a feeling we'll be visiting here in the summer.


Ches and I on the banks of the Clearwater River.

Brent and Ches went off to explore the woods beyond where my boots would take me. I made the unfortunate mistake of only wearing a vest and Uggs, I should have had my snow boots and coat on. Next time I'll be better prepared.

As we left Clearwater State Recreation Area I was complaining about not seeing any moose, again. And was pleasantly surprised when we came upon this herd of caribou. They were quite far out in the field but I managed to zoom in to get a pretty good view. I have photos of about half the herd. The other half were grazing behind a clump of trees. It was nice to see them, as this is the first herd we've seen since the long drive to get here.


After dinner we decided to take advantage of the quickly fading light and took a drive down Tanana Loop. The mountains were beautiful and though we didn't see any moose, or other wildlife, it is beautiful and breathtaking just to be out there. The above photo is of the Alaska Range at dusk. The sun was sinking quickly behind them and they stood like ghosts on the horizon. I couldn't resist snapping a pic.
We hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Ours was great and relaxing! Have a happy day!












2 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

Clearwater State Park is a great place to fish in September before the really cold winter comes. My husband fishes there every year in the fall. The fish you'll pull out of there aren't the most tasty, as they have swum several hundred miles from Valdez to get there. Long time Alaskans will feed it to their dogs, but turn their nose up at it. Spoiled, we are! LOL

Speaking of Valdez, we make an annual trip to Valdez in August each year. The red salmon there at Allison Point (across the bay from the town of Valdez - on the same side as the Pipeline Terminus) are so plentiful, you can practically walk across their backs!! It's amazing!

Check out my blog in June, July, and August for ideas of places to go and things to do. We hit the road for a week every month in the summer, towing our camper, and enjoying the great outdoors.

If you get a week or so off, and want to explore, I'd suggest driving down the Richardson to Valdez for a day or two, then come back up and cross the state on the Glenn Hwy to Anchorage (gorgeous!!) and then come back on the Parks Hwy through Fairbanks. If you've got even more time, go down to the Kenai Peninsula. That's where we spend the most time. I love this great state!!! If you've got a tent or camper and you don't mind camping, you can save a bundle in traveling. If you don't, expect to pay a lot for even a basic hotel.

Anonymous said...

Drivecrank.com offers floridaDefensive Driving Florida professional driving school, online drivers education, online defensive driving courses.