Thursday, February 12, 2009

Putting my shopping shoes on

Hello Family and Friends,

Well, well, well. We are finally finding ourselves ready to go and do a little shopping. First item on the list is a bed. B-E-D. I've been googling and mapquesting to my heart's content, and hopefully we'll find a really good deal. The second item is going to be some clothes storage. Right now we have everything in tubs and it's nearly impossible to see and choose clothing. Which leads to a very boring wardrobe.

The weather has been pretty good. Today was lovely and sunny and the wind was down again. Ches and I had a lovely afternoon walk, but I'm still a little chicken to go too far from home. My biggest thing is that I'm just not sure how Ches will react. We'll see in time, I'm sure.

Brent scheduled our first halibut fishing charter today. He booked it through Boeing and we'll be going in June. It's a long time to wait, but I'm really, really excited about it. We will travel to Anchorage and we have asked Adam and Jennifer to join us. We're just waiting to hear if Jennifer will be around.

The most exciting thing that has been happening is that I keep getting stuck in the house. That makes me sound intelligent doesn't it? Lol. It's not that I can't open the door. It's that the weather keeps making the house shift so the door wedges itself closed. Earlier in the week I broke a blood vessel in my hand, today I was smarter due to experience and managed to free myself in minutes. It's pretty frustrating though.

The days are going well. Tomorrow afternoon we are going to Granite View Sports to pick up all of Brent's cold weather gear. He picked part of it out, and it's waiting there, but he has more money to spend. I think I might pick up one or two things for the house. They have a cute little gift shop attached that Mom would love. (wink, wink)

So, after getting our first electric bill I think I need to spend more time reading and less time watching television. HOLY SMOKE! I nearly fell over. Not pretty. We might have to start using more candle light, and we're fairly conservative as it is. That will be an adjustment. In addition to charging us for electricity they charge us $.03852 per kwh for a fuel charge. Ours came to $91.00. Yep, now can you imagine what our bill is?? Uff da. Oh well.

Have a happy day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karla, I was going to email you but I couldn't figure out where or if it was listed. (I'm not a Blogger member) I just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your blog on AK. My husband visited there over a year ago (he and his dad took a cruise and train ride up) and we've tossed around the idea of maybe moving up there. I've been researching to see if it's something we could actually do! lol

And I'm interested to know if your electic bill looks anything like ours in the summer? LOL We've been living in the DFW area of Tx for the last 12 yrs, but we were both raised in West. Washington. We miss the mountains, trees, and I never have gotten used to the hot, LONG summers, nor am I a fan of tornadoes.:-P But my poor southern kids think they're freezing when it's below 60 degrees. ROFL

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and that I've been snooping around your blog. :)

Tracy

Karla said...

Hi Tracy,

Feel free to email me at karlaking96@aol.com. We've only been here a month, so I'm not much of an expert, but I can give you an honest account of life so far. :) Happy to hear you're enjoying the blog! Happy Reading!

Karla

Moose Nuggets said...

Oh, that fuel surcharge gets ya, doesn't it??? Our firt utility bill when we were in North Pole, I called GVEA and asked a LOT of questions. After that, I started:
hanging our laundry outside OR on an indoor clothesline to dry, hand washing dishes, and turning lots of things off during the day!
I will say, that cut our bill almost in half, but I would get irritated every time anyone ran the water or flushed the toilet, because the well had an electric pump (as did the water softener). LOL

I was glad to move down to Delta, where our utilities are included in our rent!

Good luck with your shopping! That was another place I got sticker shock. I DO envy that you are headed to Anchorage!

And so it begins..... said...

Hope your still alive up there and didn't get taken down by any Mooses!! Waiting to hear how your shopping excursion went:)