Saturday, March 21, 2009

Before And After

Wednesday morning I woke up and decided it was finally time to turn the mess above into a walk-in closet. We have two coat closets for storage for the entire house. Um, yeah. That's not working so well. So we decided to take bedroom #2 and make it into a walk-in closet, storage area. It also holds one of four windows for the house so I wanted to be sure that we could open the door and not be embarassed by the chaos above.

This photo was taken only for showing you the size of our closets. Not very big. Not very big at all.
When Brent got home from work he found this. And was pleasantly surprised. It is much brighter, and much more functional. In addition to the closet I moved our bed around so that we're able to open that window as well. And I think we'll like having just a little bit of room to move around in there as well.

How do you like my highend storage solutions? Ha! But seriously, they're moveable and work well in the area/space that we have. The totes will hopefully disappear as we buy a few more items for organization, but they work for now.

In between frozen shower drains and frozen well pumps we have been laying low. It's cold here. Yesterday afternoon we went for a short drive down the Tanana Loop and saw this guy. He was in a hurry to get away from us. Did you know that a full grown moose can jump anything 7 ft. or under with ease? WHO KNEW? That's just a little weird. They don't look agile at all.
I've been reading a lot lately. Soon the cows will be chasing away last year's calves and giving birth again the end of April. Also, we've read that moose become more aggressive this time of year due to starvation. That makes me a little sad. Who wants to starve? I guess maybe I shouldn't read so much.
After returning home from our drive we were playing outside with Chessa girl. And this is what the evening sun had for us. Isn't it gorgeous? Honestly, there is barely a day that goes by that I don't think "what a beautiful place to live". I'm thinking I might change my mind in spring, with the loads and loads of mud that are likely to find their way into my house. Ha!
Today we went to Granite View to pick up Brent's gun. FINALLY. We dropped off that beast over 3 months ago. So, I've expressed my frustration with the physical address/mailing address issue before, right? Here we go again. I honestly have no idea how many hoops we've had to jump through, but it's ever increasing. Brent's drivers license had our mailing address so we had to go to the DMV and change it over to our physical address and now we have the gun at home. Amen. Goodness.
We have been researching bear protection since we first learned that we'd be moving to Alaska. We love to hike, and we're looking forward to exploring every inch of Alaska that we can. So naturally bears were a concern. Brent ordered Bear Spray last night as our defense. It is 92% effective on brown bears, and 99% effective on other bears and wildlife. So, we're fairly confident that it's the right choice. There are huge numbers of bear killed in Alaska each year by humans who are threatened by their presence. That just bothers me. We both wanted a solution that wouldn't be fatal to the animals we come in contact with, and I'm convinced we've found the golden ticket.
Hope you're enjoying your nice weather! We're staying down around 0 degrees. I really doubt that spring is on it's way here...yet.
Have a happy day!






No comments: