Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chilly Willy

Hello Everyone!

Dad sent me an email today to give me a nudge. I guess I've been slacking again. So I'm back to fill you in on the day-to-day life of a slacker. Ha!

Sunday after we got the shower drain thawed out, AGAIN. I took off to Fairbanks all by myself. I went despite the fact that the -29F temp was screaming at me. But the sun was up, and the day was glorious, despite the frigid temperatures. I managed to travel the roads without incident. Thank goodness. I saw one moose, safely bedded town amongst the branches and snow as I chugged along the Richardson Highway.

I hit up Fred Meyer, Walmart, Safeway and Barnes & Noble. I treated myself to a smooth, creamy and piping hot latte at Starbucks, and was feeling smug and smart as an independent person. I browsed the books of B&N and just took my time. I looked at design books, and read the covers of every smut book I could get my fingers on. I rifled through cookbooks of my favorite Food Network stars, and even thumbed my way through books of local cuisine. There were some recipes in there that I dare say I will never attempt. And then home again safely. But man did it feel so good to just have time to myself. Next time I think I'll see a movie, in a theatre.

Yesterday was pretty dull and boring here. The sun was out again, and I'm hoping it's a good indication of what spring and summer here in the Northland will be like. I do say though that Brent comes home with tales of wildlife encounters every day, and frankly I'm beginning to think that ignorance is bliss. I will say that most people we know have only seen a bear at a distance. However, we plan to carry a big gun where ever we go, just in case. Did you know that a bear can smell food for up to 10 miles? Seriously.

We have been told that the worst time to encounter a bear is April 1-June 15. We have started burning our garbage immediately instead of letting one or two bags pile up. And we need to order a bell for Ches. I guess it's a great deterrant. I keep telling Brent that he needs to just keep this information to himself. Soon I won't even leave the house! Ha!

Today was another cold and sunny day. Ches and I took a nice walk along the road out front. We only venture as far as the other driveway. And then do the circle. There has been a lot of moose action in the field across the road, and I just don't want to get caught out there in the
open. When we got back to the yard I threw Ches' dummy for what seemed like an eternity! But she had a great time, I know she's been missing the exercise.

Tonight after dinner we stopped over to check on one of Brent's coworkers wives. She needed help opening some jars of pickled beets and sauer kraut. I did try one of the beets, but I dare say they don't hold a candle to Mom's. Despite that fact, I think I'll pick up a jar the next time I hit up the IGA. She is lonely, but doing well, and I think we'll pop over again this weekend to visit. And Brent will probably take Shiro, their Akita/Pitbull cross, out for a walk in the woods. Though if you've seen Shiro, you'll know that Shiro will be walking Brent!!! Ha!

Yesterday I had a pretty blue day. I just couldn't get motivated in the least. I dare say it was my first real one since arriving here. So, I gave myself my little pity party and this morning I put on my big girl panties and faced the day.

I had been hearing rumblings that the Northern Lights have been magnificent. I tried to stay up to catch a glimpse of them last night, but didn't make it. Who knows? Maybe I will tonight!

To all our friends and family in warmer parts of the country and beyond....PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. Ha!

Have a happy day!

3 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

If your travels bring you back to Fairbanks anytime soon (or North Pole), email me and maybe we can meet up for coffee or lunch. :)

If you're in town this weekend, the Chrysler North American dogsled races are going on. They start downtown and race 20-30 miles around town. There will be a fur auction too. It's really a great time and there's a lot of community spirit.

Karla said...

Thanks Susan! I also want to get to the ice park after being inspired by your gorgeous photography! And I will look you up sometime. I would love to meet you!

Karla said...

Thanks Susan! I also want to get to the ice park after being inspired by your gorgeous photography! And I will look you up sometime. I would love to meet you!