Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Top 5 Differences Between Alaska and Minnesota


**DISCLAIMER: I have lived in Alaska for less than 2 months. These are my early observations/opinions and they may or may not be accurate. I plan to update this in coming months. Not better or worse, just different.


5. It's cold, but it doesn't feel as cold as Minnesota.

4. When it snows, there are plows, but they aren't there to rid the road of snow, just keep it debris free and maybe sand the slickest spots, the rest just is... The roads that are good/fine are roads I would normally have avoided in Minnesota.

3. The utilities here in Alaska are temperamental. I have lost phone connection, satellite, and electricity more times than I'd like.

2. In Minnesota you bring your license to the DMV, you test, you get license. In Alaska, you bring in your passport/birth certificate, social security card, valid drivers license, proof of physical address, not mailing address and your first born. Then you test, then you get your license.

1. The general population in Alaska actually dresses for the weather, then adds a stylish touch instead of wearing something cute and hoping you don't breakdown and freeze to death. :)

Have a happy day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your first observation about the cold is interesting... How cold DOES it get in Minn.?

And do you think the tempermental utilites are due to your being rural are do they tend to be that way even in the bigger cities?

The Clarke's said...

Thanks for sharing...would have loved to hear your comments about the Bachelor this time around. Take care!

Moose Nuggets said...

Hee hee! Wait until you go through a few weeks of 45 below or colder. THEN, when you go back to Minn. (or North Dakota, like we did), you actually will find yourself giggling about how it's "only" 10 below and everyone is dressed like they live in an Alaskan Village instead of Minneapolis.

My own disclaimer: this IS our first winter. But you're right, the cold here is different from the cold of the midwest!

Karla said...

Tracy- It depends where in MN you are. In Northern MN where I grew up it's cold. Or can be. We have seen -40 below there, though not consistently.

The first night we were in Alaska was -63 and that was colder than anywhere, anytime. lol. I never care to see that again. However, at 20 to -10ish I would say that on average the cold feels colder there, due to the humidity.

As far as the utilities, I have no idea if that's semi-normal, totally abnormal, or just a fluke! I'm hoping for the latter.

Nugget- that's why I reserved the right to change my mind! lol. ;)