Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Everyday Ordinary Things

It has been a pretty uneventful week. Nothing exciting or major is happening, and yet there are happy surprises every day. The little things. The most important things. It started with emails from Mom, which I really enjoy and look forward to every morning. And then Monday afternoon I got a call from my big brother, Brent. It was nice to hear his voice and catch up. I saw him on New Year's but it seems like it's been a lot, lot longer. And then, yesterday I went to the mailbox and got a letter from my Grandma Adeline. 3 nice surprises, and they all made me smile.

It hasn't been overly cold here, bouncing in the 20's to zero. But not horrible. We did get a bit of snow yesterday afternoon. I walked down to the neighbors to see the piglets (and pick up a package) yesterday afternoon. The piglets are so cute, I still kinda want one, but still have the issue of where to actually put one. Darn it. Details, details.

Last night I had to break out the blow dryer to thaw the deadbolt so that I could actually close and lock the door. It didn't take too much time, but it's a minor pain in the butt. Then this morning Brent got in the shower to discover a frozen drain pipe. Oh the joys! In all seriousness, it's minor, but the cold certainly gives me something to do.

Today I cleaned, and did a space plan for the house. Seeing that the space is limited, we have been trying to figure out how to work the space so that I can watch TV without keeping him awake at night, and fit in an office, dining area and living room in a very small space. However, I have done it. Now I just need to find the furniture to finish it and I'll be fine.

Tonight we had to run some letters and such into to town and we saw our first rabbit. We have seen tracks, tracks and more tracks, so I knew they were here, but we finally saw one! He was white, and he was FAST!

This week is Brent's last week of work on this rotation. He will have two weeks off, except for a day here and there for some training, and I have no idea what the heck we're going to do!! Just kidding. I think we're going to try to find some used snow shoes and we're planning to explore Quartz Lake a little more. Who knows maybe we'll even do a little ice fishing. We are planning to hit the thrift stores in Fairbanks, and hoping to find just the things we are looking for. Time will tell!

We are also planning to meet up with a former schoolmate from Grygla and his family that are living in North Pole. I am excited, it will be nice to meet a friendly face, and hopefully he and his family can give us some things to do, or to avoid.

Hope you are having a good week, and staying warm (or cool) where you are!

Have a happy day!

No comments: