Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An Alaskan Spring Weekend

Greetings from Moose Country! It's been a busy past few days. Between allergy attacks (me) and spring colds (Brent) we've passed everything around here once or twice. I'm feeling much better thanks to some allergy medication, and Brent, well, I'm sure he'll feel better in a day or so. This weekend we got out and about to see the country side. The photo above and the next one below were taken on a Friday evening drive.

As you can tell, the first set wasn't nearly as photo savvy as this guy. He just went about his business, despite our presence, and knelt in the grass for his grub. This guy knows what he likes, and he wasn't going to leave it for us. It's fun to see them, and I'm hoping we get to see some babes soon.

Saturday morning we packed a picnic lunch, threw Ches in the Envoy and away we went. We were headed South of Delta to Paxson. We had driven part way there a few times, and since the roads were clear, we decided to go all the way. We came upon this munching trio about 20 miles outside of Delta. Nothing like a spring snack, roadside.

Paxson is about a 76 mile trip from Delta. So, we just enjoyed the day, stopping frequently to wander and expolore the little trails that shoot off the Richardson Hwy in every direction. This is a riverbed that we explored and we saw quite a bit of moose trace, in addition to the slow, lazily drifting bumble bees. They were huge and curious. Since it's higher elevation, there's still quite a bit of snow, but most of it is shallow in the areas we were exploring.

This is just another viewing point of the Alaska pipeline against the mountains. We actually stopped here because we saw a dead wolf here and Brent wanted to check it out a little more. So we stopped and wandered. I don't think Chessa's nose lifted off the ground all day. She was in heaven. I think this was her favorite day yet.

This is a photo of Summit Lake. As you can see it's entirely covered in ice and snow yet. There is a bit of melting near the shoreline, but for the most part it's just ice as far as you can see. I'm looking forward to going back this summer and seeing it. It's ginormous, and has to be at least 5 miles long. Set in the mountains, it's breathtaking.

This is a monument for the man that the Richardson highway was named after. I had all the info written down, and like a bum, I lost it. I guess you'll just have to come and check it out for yourself. :) lol.

This one I just had to throw in because it's so pretty. I cannot get over the scenery here. It just never gets old. Never.
Sunday we headed into Fairbanks for a quick trip. We picked up fishing poles, tackle, and a tackle box, amongst the other boring necessities. We did a little, very quick shopping and then headed home to roam and explore.
The days here have been cooler, in the 40's and 50's, and partly cloudy to rainy. We've gotten enough rain to last me a while, and I could really use some sun. As a matter of fact, we had some sun this morning, but it's ducked back under the clouds now.
In other news, my new camera came yesterday. I'm so excited, hopefully it will mean MUCH better pics on this blog. The two that we were using just really didn't do the landscape justice. So hopefully we'll get some good pics soon, and I'll be back...
Have a happy day!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the last picture... I got some really good ones in Ketchikan but nothing like that! We didn't get far enough north I guess. ;-) I soaked in as much of the mountains as I could while up there--the part we were reminded me alot of where we grew up in Wash., just further north. But where you are looks like it even beats that! Next trip to Ak I wanna fly to Anchorage and ride the train up to Fairbanks like Chris did a couple years ago--if I don't get to move there first that is. LOL
Now we're back home to flat land and heat. I actually enjoyed the 40s-upper 50s (not sure if it got into the 60s or not) while up there--now I'm sweating to death again. lol

Karla said...

Tracy, I'm happy to hear that you had a great trip. Hoping next time you get up here. Delta sits nestled between 3 mountain ranges, it's pretty fantastic. We've had a lot of cloud cover so they've been hiding the past couple days. Bummer! Happy Spring! :)