Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Our First Trip on the Tanana

There's nothing like waking up, grabbing a nice cup of green tea, sitting down at the computer and getting an email from home. Usually they come from my mom. Warm, loving updates of what she has planned for today, what they did yesterday, and so on. Today my note said "It's been RAINY and GLOOMY for days wake up and update". Gee thanks Dad. Love you too! lol.

This weekend we took our very first trip on the Tanana River. What a treat! I am addicted, and I love it. I don't know how to explain it, other than the scenery is breathtaking, and the water looks like chocolate milk. It's murky, silt-filled water, rolling and bucking, but it's majestic as well. We had a great time. The temps were cool, and though we dressed warm, it wasn't quite warm enough.

We took off about 6 p.m. and floated out on the Clearwater Lake to the Tanana River. Once we were on the river we headed over to the Clearwater River. Photo #3 is where the Clearwater and Tanana rivers meet. Can you tell a difference? It's unbelievable. This distinct line that you can see as you come down the river.

Once we were finished there we headed upriver to fish for burbot. The waters were a little choppy and bucky, but we sat, talked and fished. We went with friends from Brent's work, and their little dog Willie. We left Ches at home because of her love of water. I really didn't want to have to chase her downstream. Better safe than sorry.


The sun at midnight on Saturday over the Tanana

Willie the boat dog.

Tanana/Clearwater rivers meet

Bluebells on an island in the Tanana River

Low bush cranberries
s
View from the island where we were fishing.


The guys fished for quite a while and we had a great time just visiting. When we were sitting still the air was warm and lovely. After a while we stopped at an island and jumped out to explore. What a treat! We saw wildflowers all over the island. The guys continued to fish with no luck, Willie played, I played with the camera and took some shots, we watched some geese mating and playing on a sandbar across the way, lit a fire, roasted some hot dogs and just relaxed. What a blast! I really cannot wait to do it again.
On our way home we stopped off on a sandbar where co-workers of Brent's were camping. It's the float that we were invited on, what a great set up! Plunked down on a sandbar, complete with screen house for a mess tent, and a genious idea for a duck blind repurposed as a porta-potty. Awesome! I cannot wait to get settled so we can go...someday. The bummer of starting over is that we have NOTHING. But we will. In time.
We got off the water about 12:15 a.m. on Sunday morning. I really think I could have stayed out there all night. I have been searching and searching for boats all weekend, but Brent is telling me that I can't have one until I have a job. Well, darn him for being such a buzz kill! Ha! I know that a boat most likely won't come until next summer, but man, I wish it would be this year.
When we got home we were frozen like little popsicles and fell into bed. I slept in on Sunday morning, then packed my stuff up and headed to Fairbanks. I went in search of a freezer for our upcoming fishing trip. Since Brent hadn't slept well, he decided to stay home. It was a great day for a drive. I will say that the Richardson in spring/summer rivals the North Shore Drive in autumn. It is beautiful! The fresh, lush leaves pop in shades of lime, with the Sitka Spruce filling in with bluer shades of green. It's really beautiful, and everyone should see it!
Yesterday we laid low. I had been wanting to try out a new recipe for scallop pizza. So I whipped up some crusts, arugula/walnut pesto, red sauce and scallops. Grilled up the crusts, and tried them out. Pretty darn good. I think I vote for the pesto, but Brent likes the red sauce, with some tweeking. Since we had plenty we loaded up crusts and all the fixings and took over to Brad & Rose's as a thank you for taking us on our little excursion on the Tanana.
Brent cleaned up the trailer, and groaned over it's bruises from the trip across Canada in January. But in all good news, it held up so well, even the tires, and though we'll have to replace them before long, the tires are still good for now.
This week we hope to find out if we will indeed be moving. If not, we'll adjust, but a little more privacy would be nice. Really nice. I am still waiting for the phone to ring, and I fluctuate between all thoughts positive and thinking that it may be decades before that darn phone rings! So, I keep reciting words of patience, we'll see if it works.

Have a very happy day!

3 comments:

Chantelle said...

Those are such beautiful pictures!! It looks like you had a great time! :) The one where the river meet is crazy! :)

Susan Stevenson said...

That same phenomenon occurs here in Fairbanks where the Chena meets the Tanana - a visible line from clear to silt! It's really cool to see. Sounds like you had an awesome time. I do hope you'll get to replenish your camping gear so you can have more getaways with friends.

Tiff Rodning said...

That picture of the rivers meeting is FANTASTIC - hard to believe the line stays that distinct between the two. Is it always like that??