Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Good Life

Hi.  Well, it's been awhile.  Sorry.  But I've been just a little bit busy.  Just a little.  As you know I'm working out on base, at this point I'm working 60 hours a week.  As is nearly the entire crew on and around the project.  It's quite impressive, and I'm astounded at the progress that's being made.  I hope it's a good omen for things to come, even if they don't directly benefit me.

In addition, I'm working a handful of hours at Durham, which regrettably isn't enough, and I really miss "my girls".  I managed to squeek in a dinner and some shopping (courtesy of my third job) with them last week, and I had a blast!!!  I only wish I hadn't had a desk full of work to do, too.

So, the third job is selling designer inspired handbags, wallets, jewelry and sunglasses out of my trunk, or home, whichever you prefer.  I started this little venture before I knew about the job that has quickly become Job #1, no matter how temporarily.

In addition to that we've been doing little else.  We try to sneak in some sleep, some cooking, and even a little baking.  Occasionally I catch up on laundry and even the dishes.  Of course it helps that we're on opposite schedules and that with the ton of help that Brent gives me, we are hitting a pretty good groove.

Sunday I knocked myself out and made a smorgasbord of food.  I grilled some lovely steaks, baked some honey-glazed salmon (both products of Alaska), baked potatoes with all the fixings, candied carrots, fresh, crusty french bread, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  Needless to say, we'll be eating leftovers all week.

It's been chilly here, hovering around and slightly below zero.  I've been plugging in the vehicles for a week and a half now, and that always seems to illicit giggles from far off places, like Florida, for instance. (right Chantelle?)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Now that all that is out of the way, I'm here to converse, reflect on the opinion that perhaps, even maybe, I glorify Delta Junction, and life in Delta.

I disagree.  Whole heartedly.  And now I'll tell you why.  Delta itself isn't the most beautiful town I've ever seen.  That isn't to say that it's dumpy, or run down, it's your average rural small town.  In some ways.  In other ways, it's pure perfection.

There are other towns in America similar in some ways, I'm sure.  But I haven't found them.  The first thing I have to say is that there are no Jones' here to keep up with.  People live in big houses, little houses, stationary houses, houses with wheels in various forms.  In Delta, you just live.  Some have more, some have less, and it's not a constant nagging panic attack.

In addition, there is such beauty that surrounds Delta, that it's easy to view the whole works as the greatest place on earth.  Mountains, mountains everywhere.  And I have missed the mountains so very, very much.

But I think the best parts about Delta are just the liberties that are still in place here.  The fact that I can ride my ATV, without having to trailer it and haul it hours and hours and hours. 

There are tons of places to hunt, boat, fish, explore.  The sense of community is amazing.  And well, it's just an all-around great place to live.  If I wasn't so tired, I may be more poetic.  Frankly, I think if small town life is what you're looking for, Delta Junction, Alaska is the place to be.

Come check it out!  I'll meet you in town, and we'll catch up.

Have a happy life!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your blog about two weeks ago. First blog I ever read or followed, so I'm no expert but think that you are a very good writer and keep me very interested in your story of life in Delta junction. I have been debating on taking a job on Fort Greely for the last year and have been researching the area alot lately(that's how I found your blog). Just want to say thanks for the interesting reading.

Karla said...

Thanks Steve! I'm happy you enjoy the reading. We hemmed and hawed for a while before my husband accepted his position here. I have to say, HANDS DOWN, best move we ever made! Good luck with your decision!! If you come this way be sure to let me know.

Happy Reading!

Chantelle said...

Yes, plugging in vehicles gives me a majoe giggle. I had the smile before I even finished the sentence.

So we haven't ever met in real life, but seriously, just reading this makes me want to come to Alaska. it's just that ridiculously long flight. Or even longer drive. Ugh.

Well that and the fact that if I were you, I'd be a bit freaked if a stranger showed up on my doorstep LOL