Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Day of Rest








Greetings! It's definitely winter in Delta Junction.  Today has been cold, and it's about to get colder.  Tuesday we're being predicted temps around the 30 below mark, and in my estimation it's much too cold for that.

We've had more snow this week.  It hasn't amounted to much, as it's been of the light and powdery kind.  At our house we have about 6-7" of light, fluffy white...everywhere.  I forgot to take pics today, and since I won't have another day off until next week, you'll have to wait.  It's lovely, and you'll just have to take my word for it.

Today was -9 degrees.  I dare say it felt a lot colder, and it feels warmer out this evening.  I don't know if it's because the snow has stopped and the humidity has dropped, or if it indeed, just that much warmer.

The jobs are still going well.  We're both adjusting to the new schedules and the new demands.  Brent has taken on a lot of the cooking, packing, and some general housework.  More than he was doing, anyway.  And I have been trying to help more with wood hauling, playing with Ches, and general "manly" things.

In true Alaskan fashion I am hauling a cord around with me everywhere I go.  This may sound ridiculous to those of you who live in the south, but for Alaskans (and some other cold weather regions) it's just a way of life.  I unplug it in the morning, drive to work, plug it back in, work the day, and then come home, to plug it back in again.

Today I was off while Brent worked, yesterday I worked while Brent was off.  I did some laundry, made pasta for dinner and caught up on tv.  At one point on the day I was curled up on the couch, hot chocolate in hand, and a movie.  It was pure bliss.

In other news we've been seeing more animals.  Brent walked up the driveway to find 3 moose perched on our berm.  I'm happy to hear they are back, and can't wait to see them.  I wish I knew what they ate so I could bribe them.

Thursday night I got up over night to stoke the fire.  We are still having Toyo issues here, so we're relying on wood alone, so the stoking of the fire is necessary.  Anyway, I stumbled down in my sleepy stupor, got a drink, did my thing and decided to load the stove.  I stepped out in the frigid night air to grab a frozen log.  I jumped back in, closed the door, and tried to grab the too-big-for-my-hand log with one hand.   Much to my dismay, this very large, very frozen log dropped right onto my big toe.

Since I try very hard to not wake my husband I cussed quietly, under my breath.  While tears threatened to stream down my face.  I shoved, forcefully and angrily, that stupid piece of wood into that stupid stove, just as I turned to see Brent coming down the stairs.

Seeing that he was already awake I let it fly, and the tears flowed.  I'm pretty sure I blamed him for something, even though we both knew it wasn't his fault, and I hobbled back to bed, for another 3 hours of slumber.  Friday morning I woke to a very swollen, very tender toe.

The photo was taken today and it looks much better.  I'm happy to report it also feels better, and we now have a nice warm, large tote of wood sitting in the living room.  Sometimes it's about practicality and not pretty.  Ha!


Please ignore the polish, I clearly don't have time for a pedicure.

Friday evening we invited some friends over for a very casual happy hour.  I don't mind the work, but I'm a very social being, and the work, work, work was growing thin.  I picked up some spirits and ale, cooked up some uncreative, but comforting appetizers and opened the doors for some fun and relaxation.  It was a wonderful time, and it felt great to laugh and catch up with friends while sipping a nice glass of Moscato.

When our guests had left we headed up to watch a movie.  We snuggled in just in time for the itchies to catch up with me.  I got up to fetch the bottle of lotion from the closet and noticed that the motion light was on.  At first I thought it was just from the puffy snow, and then I saw her.  A slight movement, and I saw her, a very pretty, petite coyote.  I know, a coyote, not exactly exciting, but I love seeing the wildlife.  Any and all.  As long as she doesn't misbehave I'm happy to have her around.

My eyelids are growing heavy.  The temperature is rising, and I'm looking forward to hitting the hay with Brent and Ches.

Good night!  Stay warm!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok I have to ask about this plug thing... I get being plugged in over night when it's the coldest. But how long can the car go without being plugged in? What do you do when you go shopping? (I'm envisioning a very interesting set up in parking lots. LOL)

Chantelle said...

Ooh that is a good question, the shopping thing.

Your poor toe :( I'm sure it's better by now, I'm so far behind!!

We've got coyotes here too, I saw one the other day get hit on the interstate right in front of me :( then another running in a neighborhood...that we're thinking of buying a house in LOL

What I have yet to see, but realllly want to (totally from afar) is a Florida Panther. I ahve to admit that I thought they didn't exist here, but they do, and someone local has seen them....also in the same neighborhood we were thinking of moving into :P