Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I keep expecting the "newness" to wear off.  You know, that giddy feeling you get when you are about to embark on an adventure. 

This time last year was hectic, stressful, and sad.  We were selling off, donating, or packing up, for storage and travel, all the things we owned.  Which in hindsight, was entirely too much stuff.  UGH.  I remember feeling sad to see "my stuff" going home in the hands of strangers, family, friends. 

We were excited, scared and nervous.  Ready to tackle the Last Frontier, not having a clue what lie ahead of us, in miles, road conditions, and plain, old gumption.  Driving the Alaska Hwy is not for the faint of heart.  And especially not in January.  Many others before us have done it, but I can tell you one thing, I do NOT intend to do it again.  Summer, perhaps.  January. No.  Big, emphatic no.

As we near the one year mark I'm thinking that we should probably be missing "home" a lot more.  But truth is.  We just don't.  Sure, we miss our families, and friends we left behind.  I miss Sunday, Wednesday and sometimes Monday girls' night with Shan, Steph, and my favorite, Miss Savannah. 

But now, Alaska is home.  It is truly where my heart is, and I have no desire to leave, not yet, not even on vacation.  Don't think that with that admission that doesn't come with guilt, because it does.  Tons of it.  But while I miss Minnesota, I don't miss it enough to go back.  Right now.

I'm looking forward to our first Alaska Christmas.  It's snowing tonight, the most beautiful, powdery, glittery snow.  It coats everything in marshmallowy softness.  Making fallen trees more appealing, and covering mounds of dirt, tires, or what not.  We will indeed have a white, white Christmas. 

We don't have much planned.  Christmas Eve we'll follow the King tradition of Oyster stew (for Brent), and some other kind of soup for me.  I'm planning prime rib roast for Christmas Day, but that's only if we can find it here in Delta.  A little birdie told me that the IGA has some, so I need to call and order tomorrow.  Brent hopes to get in a little rabbit hunting, and I plan to spend the day in my jammies, or relaxing clothes, watching Christmas movies, and staying warm by the fire.

Plans can change, and I'm open to whatever comes our way. 

Wishing you and yours a warm, happy and blessed Christmas!

2 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

I know how you feel, as I've felt the same way for 6+ years. My family doesn't always understand it, but I always think that if they had the opportunity to live here for a little while, they would 'get it'.

Have a beautiful Christmas! It will just be Steve and me this year (I think), and that's OK. Perhaps a fox or moose will visit. :)

We need to get together again, when you come back to Fairbanks. I've got a really flexible schedule so don't hesitate to call or email if your travels bring you here.

~Susan

Lynne said...

7 years. Haven't left yet. Don't want to. Our vacations consist of the Yukon and Alaska. Don't blame you for feeling that way one bit.
Take care.
Lynne