Thursday, January 28, 2010

Let The Sun Shine In

I overslept this morning.  Big time overslept.  But the good thing is that when I woke, without peeking at the clock, I realized by the light in the room that I was late.  Like the fabled rabbit I was "late, late, for a very important date."  Well, maybe not a "date", but work. 

The days are getting longer, and the past couple days have been beautiful.  Full sun and gorgeous.  Today the sun decided to hide for the better portion of the day, but just when my mood was turning to a darker shade of blue, good ole Mister Sun peeked through and granted me a reprieve for my blah mood. 

I think I have said before that the dark doesn't bother me so much, and it really hasn't been as bad I imagined.  Last year when we arrived (a few weeks earlier than now) we were on the upside and all things were new and wonderful.  This year, while things are still wonderful, they are no longer new, and therefore reality has set in, a bit.  I do enjoy the lighter mornings, they make it a little easier for us, um, more resistant wakers to rise.  I'm not a morning person, putting it lightly, and it takes me a while to become my usual cheerful self.  By the time I leave for work now the sun is up, and I can see the mountains, the moose, and whatever else comes along my way.

Brent has decided to take up a new hobby.  Since he's about all things outdoors, it shouldn't surprise me.  However, he was resistant to it when we lived in Colorado, so it took me a bit off guard.  He's decided to try his hand at fly fishing.  I will say that I'm somewhat relieved, hopefully (with fingers crossed) it will give him a winter hobby that doesn't include dragging me out in the cold.

In addition to his new hobby, he's been keeping himself busy by chopping wood.  He's quite the efficient lumber jack, and all our wood has been chopped, split and restacked.  Now that the task is complete, I have no idea whate he'll do for the remainder of the winter.  Hmmm....maybe I should order him some fly tying gear...

Our tasks for the immediate future include keeping Ches entertained and well exercised, registering for next year's PFD- Permanent Fund Distribution, and enjoying all things that come with being residents of Alaska.  And then there are always taxes to file, of course.  I think I'll leave that particular task to Brent this year.

In addition, I am looking for work.  Additional work, that is.  I am quite happy where I am, but I would like to add some other sources of income to my life.  I have the time, and the patience, so I've been brainstorming.  My dear husband has his ideas of what I should do, but we'll leave them there, as ideas in his ever-storming brain.

I have been fortunate this winter to see more moose than I did last year.  While I haven't had the luck that Brent has, I have been seeing them out and about.  It never gets old seeing them, unless of course they're on the road.  That I could do without.

Time for me to catch up on soaps, and watch a little Jane Austen.  Friday tomorrow.  And more Sassy fun...

3 comments:

第二回合 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Estra said...

Karla

Hayley's mom here. I love your blog and have been following it for a couple of weeks now. Thanks so much for all the great info you've been giving Hayley in preparation for their move to DJ. I can't tell you how much better I feel knowing that she will have someone like you at the other end of her upcoming move to DJ.

Karla said...

Estra- Happy to help! I can't wait to meet you when you come to visit...hint, hint. Delta is a great place, we are really enjoying our time here and I'm confident Hayley will too! Have a happy day!