Monday, February 8, 2010

Wintery Wonderland

Howdy!  Greetings from Alaska! It has been a wonderful last couple of weeks.  The weather this winter has been fairly mild.  We did dip to about -30 degrees last week, but the temps quickly rose again, and there's nothing to complain about now.  We're sitting at around 0 tonight, but it's lovely.  We have a light dusting of powdery white now, and today the sun shone brightly above in the Delta sky.  Ah, life is good.

I have to apologize are these pictures are about a week old.  I have been busy, and just haven't had the time to sit and blog.  You'd think with it being cold and well, wintery, there would be plenty of time.  But with wood to haul, dog to play with and moose to capture, there simply isn't enough time in the day.  



This is my morning friend.  Nearly every morning, this guy, and one or two of his friends, come to munch on the saplings and shrubbery and who-knows-what-else.  I snapped him right before he turned tail and ran off.  Apparently he thought my camera was a 30.06.  LOL.


The above photo may not look very interesting, but it's a close up of the crystally fluff that covers each and every shrub on Meadows Road.  They are placed in a little puzzle and fall off quickly to be nibbled up.  Beautiful.


Moose on Bolio Lake Road


These two are a cow and calf pair.  They frequent our road, and this photo was taken about 100 yards from our driveway.  Chessa and I were going on a walk and quickly changed our course of direction when we saw this mom and daughter/son pair.  It's hard to tell, but the calf is actually lying on the side of the road.  I guess he/she found a comfy spot to rest.  Eating is very hard work, for a little guy.


Brent and Ches looking for rabbits at Nickel Lake


The gorgeous Granite Mountains






Meadows Road moose

This past weekend we laid pretty low.  I had a busy day at work, so I came home, took Chessa out for a little exercise, and of course some play.  When Brent got home I made an easy, but yummy dinner of risotto with tons of veggies and some delicious prawns I picked up at IGA.  We're fortunate to have such a good grocery store here on the tundra.

Saturday woke to the howling wind.  Despite the breeze I decided to head to Fairbanks.  There were a couple of things I needed before this weekend's Festival of Lights Galleria.  The roads were clear, except for a spot or two, so I was fortunate.  Last year they were snow packed and slick, this year they're clear with occasional snow pack.  I met a sand truck at Birch Lake and managed to escape without a new windshield chip, how?  I'll never know.  

Once I was home I unpacked the car, admired Brent's ever-growing pile of wood.  We'll certainly be warm next winter!  And then I tucked myself in for a short nap.  When my nap was over I got up, and enjoyed what was last of the beautiful Saturday afternoon.  Later that evening we went over to meet Brad and Rose's new bundle of fluff.  He's adorable.  A six week old yellow lab named Charlie.  Oh, I'm telling you he stole my heart.  I nearly caved in to Brent's pressure for a new little labrador...but gained my sanity, just in the nick of time!

Sunday was a day of organization and relaxation.  We started the morning with a batch of homemade blueberry muffins, lovingly baked by my rockstar hubby.  And then we all bundled up and trekked the road for a walk on a brisk morning.  Unfortunately our jaunt was cut short by a pack of local dogs.  Pish tosh.  I'm all for a freer way of life, but roaming dogs are dangerous, for me, my dog, and for them.  I've nearly hit them a time or two, and I've shooed them from my trash bins one too many times.  Hmph.

Today was beautiful.  The sun was out all day long, and it was a lovely day.  Brent and Ches were home, and despite Brent's new cold, they got some wood chopped, and made me a lovely dinner of chicken fajitas, with a couple too many chipotle peppers!  Nothing like getting the metabolism roaring with capsacin.  LOL.

Life is good!  I want to give a shout out to my new friends, Hayley and her mom Estra, in Alabama.  Hayley and her family will be moving to Delta this spring.  Estra is a little nervous, which is understandable since Delta is a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggg way from Alabama.  Alas, have no fear, Delta is a friendly place, with friendly people just waiting to help out and make their stay a happy one. 

Have a happy day!

4 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

I am thrilled that you have befriended Hayley and her mom and are helping her to make the transition to AK. So many questions, and who better to ask them to, but someone who lives there. I love helping newcomers to Fairbanks and North Pole too. :) Perhaps someday I'll meet Hayley. She sounds like a lovely gal.

Stay warm!

Estra said...

Wow!! I love reading your beautiful written blog. Susan is right. You are truly opening a window for others (namely me) to see inside an otherwise distant and unobtainable world. You not only make me feel better about my daughter's move but are opening my eyes to a gorgeous and magical world. If it weren't for a few other factors like my job, my husband, my other daughter in LA I would come with her. Thank God for the internet and cell phones. I'm going to have to figure out webcams. Now if we could just grow arms 4000 miles long to hug with. Have another beautiful day and thanks so very much.

Karla said...

Susan, we will certainly arrange a meet and greet with Hayley when she gets here and settled. I have another friend from Alabama here in Delta, and I have a feeling they'll find a lot of friendship and comfort in eachother. I can't wait!

Estra- I'm truly happy to help. It's nice to know that there's someone waiting for you on the other end. We were fortunate to have friends in North Pole (about 85 miles) waiting for us to arrive. It gave us a lot of peace of mind.

Happy Reading!

Hayley said...

Sounds so great. I can't wait! Thanks so much for all your help.