Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Puppy in Training

Howdy!  Greetings from Camp Puppy.  I thought perhaps I'd have to name this post  Sleepless in Delta, but much to my amazement Cash is doing very well in the sleep department.  He's a good little guy, and having Ches to lead him is fabulous.  She's a model dog, really.  She's perfection in nearly every bit.  Except that she's a bit insecure.  So, we hope to make Cash just like her, but a little more secure.

We are in the process of crate training Cash.  It's going very well, and while he does whine a bit, he settles himself within a matter of minutes, and in most cases seconds.  He's really doing well.  We have been reading book, after book, after book, trying to do it right this time.  The last time we had a pup was 16 years ago, and we did it all wrong.  All. Wrong.  This time I'm happy to have Kyle (my younger brother) to help out.  His dogs Hondo (Belgian Malinois and a K9), and Dax (Yellow Lab) are both happily crated, trained dogs.  So, first hand knowledge is fantastic.

Of course it helps that we are having awesome weather.  We're supposed to reach a high of 35 degrees today, though with the overcast skies I'm not sure we'll be quite that lucky.  The temps have been mild, and the wind is down, for now anyway, so it helps the shy, not-so-fattened-up little guy feel a little more comfortable in the snow.

Last night we had a sprinkling of new snow.  Not enough to create issues, or even play in, but it's always fun to get the powdery snow here.  It's so different from the heavy, water-laden snows in Minnesota.  It looks the same, nearly, but it's not.

In other news, I bought Brent a game cam for Christmas.  We have been putting it out in various spots around trying to catch the lynx, coyotes and other fun things that creep about in our woods.  Unfortunately the camera hasn't liked the dark days and cold temps, so it's been a little tempermental.  However, yesterday morning we hit the jackpot.  We captured (on film only) a marten.  EEK!  They're so pretty.  All cinnamon and black colored.  I'll be sure to post pics this week.

We did, in addition to the marten, capture a german shepherd on film.  This disturbs me for a couple reasons.  1.  It's not safe for dogs to roam.  2.  He's awfully close to my home, and I have two furbabies to protect. 3. The woods are full of traps and snares (not just our woods, not ours) and I would hate for harm to come to him.  Hopefully I'll not capture him on film again and hopefully he'll stay close to home.  Hmmmm...

Last week I registered for my classes to prepare to get my Alaska real estate license.  I am still waiting on the materials, as it's a correspondence class.  I'm excited, and nervous, but mostly excited.  I love what I do.  And it will be nice to have the knowledge, and legal right, to help Courtney out more.  I hate having to say that I can't help someone because I'm not a licensed real estate agent.  So, now I have the remedy.  That is, if I put my nose to the grindstone and pass the darn thing.  Have I mentioned how cute and fun Cash is?  Ha!

Brent has been busy with his new hobby, preparing for spring and summer.  Yesterday a vast assortment of flies arrived for his new fly rod.  And he's been watching videos and getting casting tips.  Ches thinks he's plum crazy to be out in the yard casting away.  She's tempted to chase, but then just assumes that Brent's gone loco for the moment. 

Life continues to go well.  We're looking forward to spring, and the glorious summer (that we hope) follows it.  Last summer was perfection in nearly every way, and I'm certainly hoping that we get a repeat.  Especially with the Pro Pioneer on it's way to us.  Since I'm known for being a bit of a chicken, I'm sure this summer will be a test in faith, trust and courage.  We are looking for a handgun for me, since I need to know how to use one, and protect myself.  And I'd like to do some trap shooting this year.  Don't ask me why, but it looks like so much fun.  The sad truth, however, is that I have no aim.  Well, that's not true, I have bad aim.  Really bad aim.  So, I'm hoping to improve it, with some trap shooting.  Watch out Annie Oakley,  Karla King is here...lol.  Okay, even I think that's hilarious.  I think Annie's safe...

Hope you're having a happy day in your neck of the woods.  Until next time...Happy day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I could have found your blog before! We too have been here a bit over a year (North Pole) & loving it too! It was a beautiful weekend up here too!

Karla said...

Hi Kerry!

I'm happy you found me now. Enjoy the read!! It's a gorgeous winter so far, isn't it?

Happy Day!