Monday, February 15, 2010

Chasing moose...auroras...and tail...

This week has been good.  I started it out early in the week, when I was greeted with this lovely sight.  4, count them, 4 long-legged Bullwinkles in my yard.  Twins (last year's calves?) and two full growns.  I'm sure one was their mother, but the other I'm not sure if it was father, aunt, uncle, or just some creepy guy following them around.  LOL.  Anyway, one of the little ones decided to use my car windows as a mirror.  I guess he just wanted to check out his bad self, and then they went merrily on their way, into the woods behind the house.  I love them being there, so this was pretty awesome.

Other than work, our jobs, and working at home, cutting wood, cleaning chimneys and what not, we've been fairly busy.  This past weekend the Delta community came out for the Festival of Lights.  It's put on my the Chamber of Commerce.  They did a great job.  I took part in the Galleria show of vendors.  It was a great show, with a good turn out, and it was certainly fun.  We had a beautiful day.  I did, however, miss the Polar Plunge.  However, there was a lot of excitement generated, and some truly awesome costumes.  I'm looking forward to next year's festivities.

Saturday evening, we had friends over with their new little yellow lab pup.  He is such a good little guy, we truly enjoyed his, and B&R's company.  We relaxed with some Hungarian beer, and some lovely blueberry wine made from native Alaskan berries.  I threw together a trifle and we just kicked back and relaxed. 

Later that night the auroras made their debut.  And although we didn't get to see a lot of them, we did walk out to the field to enjoy the spectacular sky, and the green throbbing glow, just above the tree line.

Sunday we slept in, which is nearly always my favorite thing to do.  We took Ches for a wander through the woods.  We creeped around the game cam, tracked little tracks through the snow, and then came back home to throw the ball for Ches.  It was a good morning for all of us.

For Ches, however, the day went downhill quickly.  We decided since it was Valentine's Day, and we hadn't gotten eachother a gift, that maybe, just perhaps, we should.  And since Charlie was such a good boy, we decided to go see a lady about a dog.

I'd like to introduce you to Cash.  Named after the late, great Johnny Cash.  Though since he's the color of a cashew, it serves a double purpose.  Here he is with Brent, and his new toy.  A sock.  He's rather fond of the sock, and likes to shake it vigorously.

Here's our little nut chasing, and ultimately biting, his own tail.  He is just a baby, please keep that in mind.

And this is little Cash ready for bed.  No, I did NOT give him Grandma's quilt.  He's just snuggling with me on the couch for a bit, before tucking him away in his escape proof bed.

So, today Ches and Cash are at work with me.  They are being good dogs, and they're not fighting much at all.  Cash is a little feisty and has taken to biting everything, and growling and barking at Ches.  But she does a great job of ignoring him.  And I think in the end we'll all escape without injury.

Have a happy day!

4 comments:

Estra said...

You make it all sound so "warm" Karla. Cash is a cutie and looks a lot like a white lab Hayley once had named Coosa (named after our Coosa River). Love the picture of the moose in your yard. Beautiful. Look forward to your blog. Check it every day. Have a great day.

Hayley said...

Aww, Cash sure is cute. You are one brave woman taking on a lab puppy. Man, they are trouble! Of course, you know that already!

Vintage Whimsy said...

Cash is adorable!! I love seeing the moose too!

Karla said...

Thanks, Ladies! We are very happy to have Cash in our family. :) I think we're all adjusting and surviving well!