Friday, November 14, 2008

...Everybody has one.

Someone once told me, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has one". I'm finding out the wisdom in this crude, but accurate statement. And it's interesting to see and hear people respond to our news. Some are all out shocked and dismayed, others are excited and would truly like to come along for the ride, others are happy that it's us going and not them. But we are excited. I will admit that at first I was scared, but that has passed and despite the stress and worry, we're both very excited.

In the process of planning for this move, we've been doing a lot of research. Most of that research has come in the form of blogs, message boards, and a few phone calls. I want to know what real people like, or dislike, about living in the Interior. I've come to the conclusion, it really just depends.

We've been searching for a place to call home. This process has led to phone calls. I spoke with our first potential landlord a few weeks ago. Stacy was helpful and informative, and a native Alaskan. We talked about their home, the rent, etc. When I asked her to email photos she happily obliged. In her email she said that she'd be happy to answer any questions we had. Since I didn't know where to begin with the questions, I just asked her to give me her opinion about Delta. She had a lot of things to say, but the statement that sticks with me the most is "Delta is just another small town with nothing in it".

Wow. That's a very real statement. And I don't doubt that from her eyes it was accurate. At least at that moment. However, I will say that it's the ONLY negative statement I've heard in reference to Delta. Most of the people I've talked to are positive, upbeat, and happy to be living in Alaska.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very realistic, but I also know what a wonderful opportunity this is for us. And more importantly for Brent. He's been looking long and hard for a job that he could feel good about again. And it was time, way past time, for a change. So, we thought, we prayed and we leapt. When we made the list we realized that the positives far outweighed the negatives. I hope we're prepared, but if not, we'll learn as we go.

Last night I called on a house to rent. I knew from the start that it's a little bigger than we want, or need. But I'd rather have more space than less, and since the rent was comparable to the smaller spaces we've inquired about I decided to seek out more information. I talked with the owner who was a very nice lady. I forgot to get her name! But she was nice, helpful, and said that she was sad to leave Delta.

I know to some that Alaska seems bleak and boring and COLD. I'm sure there will be days that I share that sentiment, but for now, I'm excited. I want to see it all. Every last bit. To explore it with Brent and Ches, and whomever may come to visit. We may hate it, we may love it, and we just might stay forever. Only time will tell.

Have a happy day!

No comments: