Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Just Another Wednesday?


I never said all the parts of moving were easy. Some of them really suck. (Sorry Mom- I know you hate that word). Sometimes saying good-bye is really hard, even though you know you have to.

I'm a lucky girl. I've been blessed. It's true. I have a lot of great friends. Some are part of my daily life, others are in my thoughts a lot, and some others I see sporadically. All of them are important to me.

Shannon, the bride on the left, is a very close, dear friend. She knows she means a lot to me, well, at least I hope she does. But we're not the gushy, huggy type of friends. Though I think that in some ways we are huggy, gushy people, just not together. I know, it's weird.

Anyone that knows us, knows the story of how we met. I swore we'd never be friends, and ate my words. You see, we're different. In a lot of ways. She wears high heels and skirts to clean her windows, and I'm more of a tee shirt and flip flops girl. However, 4.5 years ago we fell into a fast and easy friendship.

As with most relationships we've had our ups and downs. We are strong-willed, opinionated, independant women. Of course we've had ups and downs. Along the way, our UPs have far surpassed our downs. We've laughed so hard we've cried, we've cried over baked potatoes at the mall, and we've wondered and conspired about the most intimate and special of secrets. With her I was free to feel pure joy and extreme sorrow.

Our relationship is probably mystifying and intimidating to some. We are fiercely loyal, and wildly different, yet synonomus. From the get go we preferred eachother's company to others. It was comfortable. At a certain neighborhood picnic one neighbor made the mistake of assuming we were "partners". I never wore those damn shoes again! In the early days on the loveseat side-by-side in the "nursery" to house to house to house to house to house. Did I get all the moves Shan? Ha!

We spent the majority of our time togerther. First every Thursday and Sunday, then nearly every night during a particularly hard time, then back to Wednesdays and Sundays. Which brings us to today. Today is Wednesday. Just a normal Wednesday to some. But for us, it was the last Wednesday. Next Wednesday is Christmas Eve, and we'll be in seperate cities spending the holiday with family. The following Wednesday I will be gone. Moved.

I cannot begin to explain the void I will feel without her (and Savannah and RJ) in my daily life. But I know, that we will stay close, as close as you can with 3000 miles between you. But we have email, and facebook, and phones, and letters. But ultimately our relationship will change. I will miss Wednesdays.

1 comment:

Shan said...

So tonight was our last Sunday...sniff sniff. We did a pretty good job of pretending it was just another one, but we both knew. I baked the uber fabulous strawberry rhubarb pie I'd been saving in the freezer, we almost polished off a great bottle of Reisling, and we laughed and laughed like usual.

Karla has been (and will continue to be) one of my best friends. She knows me better than anyone else. She's been there for me, thrown me more showers than I can count. I will miss her help at dinner parties; who will I shake martinis for? Sure, we have email/text/phone/facebook, but it's just not the same as watching TV together and laughing at the latest round of Bachelorettes.

No, I'm not comfy with the 'yucky love stuff', but I love Karla like a sister. And even though I am sad that she's leaving the contingent 48, as I'm sure many other people are, I truly want her to be happy. I owe her so much the least I can do is be supportive. But tonight I think Savannah summed it up best,
"But Kahla, I don't want you to go."