Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New Things

One thing nice about moving to a new state, and experiencing a new season, is seeing new birds, plants and animals. This is a gray jay. They are quite large, and while I didn't photograph this one, we have one that was checking out our garbage can and an old piece of pizza.

I took out the garbage yesterday a.m. with Rambunctious Willie and Timid Ches to discover after slipping, tripping and swearing that I had forgotten the lighter in the house. When I returned with the lighter I saw Jay sitting on the edge of my can munching on pizza. So I left the garbage for a little bit so he could enjoy the buffet and I could get a picture. But I didn't manage to procure one.

In other news it has been 7 days since Willie's arrival. We're having a lot of fun with him, but he is a lot more work than Ches. A lot more. He and Ches play quite a bit, when she isn't tired of his nipping, and it's fun to watch him mimic Ches. He's gotten smart to the treat jar and now everytime he comes in he thinks he needs treats. Little booger.

This morning we woke at 4:30 a.m. to no water. Again. I called the neighbors to thaw it at 5:30
so that the neighbors might have water, but they didn't arrive until after 7 a.m. It's frustrating. It's on the list of things that need to be discussed shortly.

Other than that we've been enjoying the warmer weather. It's been about 40 degrees and we are definitely losing snow. However, our driveway has become a skating rink and it's kind of funny to watch Willie launch himself off the deck and slide for a few feet when he has to go out.

With the warmer weather we are definitely noticing more songbirds and finches. Hopefully they'll come closer in coming weeks so we can snap some pics of them. There certainly seem to be a lot of varieties. When I googled birds of Alaska I noticed that they have the red wing black bird here. I really liked them growing up so I'm anxious to see if they are this far North.

We are also having about 16 hours of light now. When I peaked out the window at 10:14 last night I could see the trees across the field. So that is wonderful. The moon lately has been nearly full, and a bright orange ball in the sky.

Hope you are all warm and enjoying Spring! Have a happy day!

1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

The Newsminer says the geese are in your neck of the woods! WOO HOO! This is the first sign of spring. They'll be here in Fairbanks in a week or so! They were sighted at Clearwater Lake. Maybe you can go visit them. :)

As for Gray Jays. They eat just about anything, but my visiting gray jays just LOVE bananas. They carry off the bruised and black pieces as quick as they hit the ground it seems.