Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful




Hello from Alaska! 

I have started numerous posts in the last week or so, and as you can tell, I have not completed a one of them.  I have been tired, lazy and unmotivated to complete the boring dribble.  So, here I am, feeling better and I have to admit, a little bit snarky.

We have been trucking along.  We finally got into a groove with work, and then I was stricken with my neck issues of last summer.  Thankfully I recognized the warning signs early enough and scheduled an appointment with my new favorite person.  Dr. Jamie.  She hooked me up to some electrodes and then cracked me.  I have to say, I felt much better leaving her office.  However, despite her wonders I'm still having issues, and I'm hoping she comes back to work soon.  I'm fine during the day now, but sleeping is still a bit tricky.

Brent's back to his normal schedule.  And while we don't see eachother much he loves lazing around in the morning, playing with Chessa, and then we meet for lunch at the Bistro on base.  It's inexpensive and easy, and the best part, no dishes.

Ches is doing well.  She has two new pair of boots that she loves.  While they're a little harder to stand on in the house, she loves the extra protection on her tootsies.  She has issues with snow balls between her toes, and the boots help considerably.  The best part is that they're from a company in Brainerd.  Ha.  Who knew?

Brent has become my hero, and finally got the Toyo up and running.  Now we can leave the house for longer periods of time without having to worry if the fire will keep the house warm enough, long enough.  We have also learned a lot about the wood stove, that would have come in handy last week, and now we're nice and toasty warm.  Sometimes too toasty when Brent gets to stuffing that stove.  Some nights I even crack the window...Uff da.

I had my first purse party last Friday.  It was a great success and I just love the vibe the excitement that purses evoke.  It starts out as a little hum and as people come it gets louder and louder.  I have two more parties coming up, one in early December and one in late January.  I'm also planning a Holiday Open House here at home closer to Christmas.  Should make for an interesting holiday season.

Thursday we're planning a true day of rest.  A day to relax and enjoy and reflect on all the wonderful things we have to be thankful for.  We are truly blessed.  And while this experience was perhaps the scariest we pondered, it has been well worth the effort.  It has brought so many wonderful things, experiences and people into our lives. I truly had no idea.  None.

We are planning to cook up some grouse, that Brent has harvested from our woods.  I am hoping to make some wild rice, yams, and pecan pie.  We have invited a friend/neighbor whose wife is wintering in Alaska, and we are hoping for a quiet, football-filled, nap-ridden day.  Later in the day, before dark falls again, we are planning to hike into the woods and harvest a little tree to be adorned with candy canes, pine cones and string of popcorn and cranberries.  When I think of it, I'm picturing a cross between a Charlie Brown tree and updated version that Laura Ingalls might have seen.  This could be interesting!

We still have a coyote around, and now I've been told that while I might think it's nice, they may be trying to lure my dog.  So now I'm a little less enthused about his/her/their presence.  I've been told that one will come in as bait, and then lure the dog away.  I understand that they're partial to female dogs, something about mammary glands...ANYWAY, we're being more cautious these days.

Brent, the-lucky-duck-that-he-is, woke to two moose rubbing themselves on the Envoy last night.  And while I really would have liked to have seen them, I'm very happy he didn't wake me.  I have been striking out on moose viewing luck, however, so I'm hoping for a change on that front.

We do have a bit of sad news to relay.  Ches's little buddy Willie was killed in a car accident a week ago.  He was such a sweet boy, and I know he'll be missed by us all.  Rest in peace Willie boy.

The days keep getting shorter and shorter.  We have about 6 hours of day light now.  I get up and go in the dark, and I come home at dark.  While it's not ideal, it's life.  For the moment I don't mind, and it's not nearly as bad as I had imagined.  I know that we will continue to lose light as the month goes on, but for now, I'm not too worried.

This is for my friend Tracy in Texas.  Yes, we plug in our vehicles here.  I will try to clarify it a little bit for you.  Alaska is cold.  Or it gets cold, and while it is indeed colder at night, it stays cold during the day as well.  So, it is necessary to plug your vehicles in whenever they sit for extended periods of time. 

The base here recommends plugging in at 20 degrees F or below.  I don't usually plug-in until 10 or lower, but it depends on the weather, I guess.  Most people follow the same guidelines.  Most Alaskans carry cords with them at all times, like they would carry a winter survival kit, an extra pair of gloves, etc. 

And yes, while it seems funny, stores/businesses do provide plug-ins for customers to utilize during their shopping/business times.  I don't really know that there's a set time that your vehicle can withstand the cold temps without restart becoming an issue.  I guess it will depend on your vehicle and the lengths of winterization, etc.  It helps save your vehicle/battery/etc to plug it in and keep it warm.  I've even known some people here to use space heaters inside their vehicles.  Though I don't, and I'm certainly not claiming that to be a safe option.

In other news, I have to congratulate my dad on his recent hunt.  He hunted elk in Northern Minnesota and brought home a nice cow.  I'm excited to see pics!  Congrats Dad!

Also, to my friends Kori & Jim in Colorado.  After 8.5 years of infertility, they are expecting a very healthy baby GIRL in May!  What a wonderful blessing and certainly a reason to be thankful this holiday season.

We are thankful for each of you.  Our family and friends, and others who happen into our lives along the way.  Hoping  your year is wonderful, warm and blessed!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Brent & Karla

5 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Brent and Chessa, from your neighbors to the north. :)

Karla said...

Thank you, Susan! To you and Steve, Sedona and Airborne too!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, so you can park long enough to grocey shop without your car not starting--that's good to know. lol I've also heard some have heated garages there and in other cold places--that makes sense too.

Karla said...

Tracy- if you have a heated garage you won't have to plug in at night, obviously. However, you'd be surprised at the number of homes here that don't have garages, let alone heated ones. And yes, we are lacking a garage. :)

Chantelle said...

That is SO neat that businesses have plug ins for the cars! I'm sure that's annoying, but it's probably more like second nature for you by now :)

Poor Willie!!!!!! :( :(

Hope all continues to go well in the purse business! :P